Hepatitis A Community
261 Members

Vertex Telaprevir EASL info: 68%

Yippee!

From an Australian paper:

RADICALLY improved treatments for one of the world's worst health scourges are looking more likely after scientists reported patients were cured more quickly and more often if an experimental new drug was added to the normal therapy.

http://tinyurl.com/6ctjkq

Excerpt from a financial article at the Motley Fool:

Yesterday, at the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL) conference, Vertex reported heartening new clinical trial data for its lead drug, telaprevir.

Vertex dispelled any ambiguity about the PROVE-2 results. Its new efficacy data showed that 68% of telaprevir-treated patients were ultimately cured of hepatitis C, compared to only 48% of patients in the control group. Obviously, that's a far more promising outcome, and it matches PROVE-1's 20-percentage-point improvement on current treatments' cure rates.

http://tinyurl.com/6xc2ry

And I bet the late breaker news on boceprevir and others will be good as well. The 2011 is a bummer to read...I am barreling down the road toward treatment, but if I fail at least there is hope for a Plan B now.
That's great news... I wish they would announce when it is finally going to be on the market. ????? It's like having someone dangle a delicious piece of chocolate cake in front of your mouth.... but you can't reach it.

Marcia
"Neil Graham, the Adelaide-trained doctor who is leading the hepatitis C program for telaprevir's maker, Boston-based drug company Vertex, said that if subsequent trials went well, an application to register the drug could be lodged with US regulators in 2011.

Hector

The 68% is very good news and goes along with what the nurse at UCD told me about how things have been going with their study trials.  She told me when I went there to join a trial that their overall percentage rate was close to 70% with the persons who completed and reached SVR.  I'm barrelling down the road to that "whiter shade of pale", as well.  I was told that I would receive the consent form around mid- May.  Here's to hoping that all goes well and we all have minimum sx.  God Bless  
no, 68% is not good. The patients were native to therapy, no relapsers or nonresponders. Handselected patients. In addition, the 32%  who failed SVR might have resistent clones now against the complete class of proteaseinhibitors and have lost this option for ever, even when there are second generation PIs available.
If one has enough time, it might be better to wait for quadrupel therapy (eg with Telaprevir and R1626) to avoid resistent clones.

drofi
Thank you for the information. :-)

Marcia
Drofi: no, 68% is not good. The patients were native to therapy, no relapsers or nonresponders.
---------------------------------
The study compared treatment naive to treatment naive. 68% SVR compared to 48% SVR but perhaps more important IN HALF THE TIME. 24 weeks for Telaprevir as compared to 48 weeks of SOC. That's half the exposure to interferon. What's more, the Telaprevir group had an 18% drop out rate compared to 4% SOC. That could be read two ways -- but one way is that the 68% SVR figure could be a lot higher if they are able to come up with effecive solutions to combat the rash and/or shorten Telaprevir exposure in the future to perhaps even eliminate the rash. I'd say these results are "radically improved" over SOC, using the words of the Australian paper. As to the potential of losing the option to treat with PIs forever, I haven't seen anything published to suggest that this risk outweighs the benefits.

I agree that anyone who can afford to wait for potentially even better treatments -- perhaps one day without interferon -- should. However, if I made a decision to treat -- either because of advanced stage or other reasons -- personally I would not hesitate to choose PI triple therapy over SOC.

-- Jim
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.