Hepatitis B Community

Alnylam Pharmaceuticals patents new RNAi therapeutics for hepatitis B infections

Just wanted to share some new news....

RNAi therapeutics company Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (NasdaqGS:ALNY) disclosed on Thursday the receipt of a US new patent under its McSwiggen patent estate for the advancement of RNAi therapeutics for the treatment of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection.

The company added that the US patent no. 8,618,277, or '277 patent, which includes broad, sequence-independent issued claims on compositions of chemically modified siRNA targeting HBV, was awarded by the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).

According to the company, the McSwiggen patent estate broadly describes chemical modifications of RNAi therapeutics needed to achieve "drug-like" properties in siRNA, the molecules that mediate RNAi. The '277 patent includes claims that are critical for the development of RNAi therapeutics for the treatment of hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection.

RNAi (RNA interference) is a revolution in biology, representing a breakthrough in understanding how genes are turned on and off in cells, and a completely new approach to drug discovery and development. RNAi therapeutics have the potential to treat disease and help patients in a fundamentally new way, concluded the company.

Read more: http://medcitynews.com/2014/06/alnylam-pharmaceuticals-patents/#ixzz34oNJEiXN

http://medcitynews.com/2014/06/alnylam-pharmaceuticals-patents/

Actually this is a potentially negative development as it could cause a legal battle with Arrowhead and delay a potential interferon free cure coming to market. Right now ARC-520 is the closest  rnai drug to market, it can knockdown HBsag and is in phase 2 trials right now with results coming in the next month or so. There is a potential dispute over if the rights Arrowhead acquired from Alnylam allow the use of this process in the US
That is not good news. Thanks for sharing that info. I guess only time will tell.
Didn't Arrow Head buy the technology from Roche plus I can't see them starting a law suit unless they were using exactly the same molecule. No?

For example there is different companies developing Immune modulators or different NUCS. You know?

Seattledude any news on REP9AC'?
Arrowhead did and many feel (me included) that Arrowhead has the rights to the ANLY siRNA from previous agreements and Roche. Right now it seems ALNY is content to see what ARC-520 results are and then there may be some legal wrangling while they extort something from Arrowhead.

Nothing new on Rep9ac, I need to reach out again and find out if the new third party study is getting off the ground.
This is what I found

http://ir.arrowheadresearch.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=854653

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.