Hepatitis B Community

Any Powerlifters or Bodybuilders here?

.. Or avid fitness enthusiasts?   Just wonndering how your getting along with training and diet while on Interferon.

I started treatment 2 months ago and have been on a huge downhill slide ever since. It is very depressing. Anyone care to compare notes on trying to hang onto training while on treatment?
Yes, on your bad days lay on the couch and use both arms to hold pillow over head and lift up and down, repition 10 times and REST.  Repeat every 2 hours. Also, you can use gallon jug with gatorade and drink from it every 5 minutes with elbows straight out until empty. Then Refill and repeat.  As you walk back and forth to the bathroom, try jogging instead. (If you are like me, you will  'always' be jogging to the bathroom.
Hope this helps.....seriously tho, keep your humor and learn your own limits. Hope this comment gives a smile to you.
I guess as a cyclist I qualify as a fitness enthusiast, but for now I'm taking a break from it. I ride a little just to keep all the parts working, but I know I can't go like I like to without springing leaks so I've put it aside for the year. Like meandhepc said, I think it's best to accept your temporary limitations with good humor and use the time to be productive in other ways.
Oh, was I supposed to be productive this year.  Rats!  I managed to stay working fulltime and use my eliptical trainer at least 3 times a week, but that is it.  I exercise my fingers on the phone buttons, remote control buttons and my computer keyboard.  I used to do Hatha Yoga 4-6 times a week, some weights, and cardio too, but I've accepted the fact that I am no way going to look and feel like me this year.  I accept that surviving this sh*t is what I am doing this year and the rest can wait.
Yeah, I guess sticking with the tx program is as productive as one could hope to be. I thought about taking up yoga, but it never amounted to anything more than a nice thought. You're right, it can all wait. But my remote control fingers are stronger than ever!!
Do you mean cyclist as in roadie? I used to be until I got hooked on dirt. I had to quit DH MTB racing this spring because it was wearing me out. I have been xc riding but I just started tx last Thursday so I keep waiting for the hammer to fall. It will be very hard not to be able to ride if it comes to that but I am hoping for the best.
I wondered if "dh" was for skiing or riding. yeah, I'm a roadie most of the time. I ride off-road a little, but I mostly like to log the road miles. 30 weeks into tx, I now just ride the mtb around the block when I'm up to it, which is not everyday. I hope you fare better.
I did 24 weeks of TX and worked out two hours a day 6 days per week.  Some days I went in tired, weak and depressed but almost always managed to get a good work out in.  No matter how I felt going in I ALWAYS walked out feeling better.  The only good thing I did during TX was work out.  After the workout the day was all down hill both mentally and physically.

The one thing I had to give up 4 weeks into TX was running.  I just didn't have the juice for it and didn't want to break down too much.  But that was an individual thing.  Some people keep up there cardio work for much of the TX.

Try to drag yourself into the gym unless you're really feeling sick.   A lousy workout is better than no workout at all. You'll lift less weight, do less reps and all that. But in the long run, what does it matter as long as you get in there,see some friends, work your body and get some endorphines going.  Good luck and hang in there.  Travis
Galen, she said Productive in other ways!! You are a saint to be working full time, I dont know how ya do it...I cant stand for longer than....well I guess I can stand long enuf to do the grocery shopping, but that poops me out for the day!  My mind wanders and fogs so I cant work in the profession I used to, plus the fatigue is intense.  An "atta boy/girl" and hats off to those able to work.  OHC67
My first 5 weeks on pegasys-copegus was very hard, couldn't even go to work, slept most of the time, and the other times just laid there and watched the tube, ok- week 6 for some unknown strange reason I started feeling better, went back to work, 10 hour days outside mind you in nearly 100 degree weather (LA.), and I also lift weights in the morning before work and in the evening after work, don't know if I'll be able to continue this, but as for as right now I feel great. I'm on week #8, so that's 3 weeks I've been without hardly any sides, who knows if this is going to last. I'm no big time body builder, I just like to keep my muscles toned a little. I believe like everyone has always said on this forum- (evrybody is different, no one has exactly the same sides, some come and go, some stay throught tx, some diminish completely during tx at different times, so everyone has to deal with this tx in there own little way- Good Luck-- HD
I can barely mow the lawn without being winded these days -- week 31.

I love to exercise -- run and lift weights 4 times a week.  I was truly in great shape.  Now I can bearly lift a ten pound weight to do a curl.  I've just had to let it go and when I have strength I'll go to the gym and unfortunately after I feel sick.  I'll be done soon and get back to it.

Lori

I stayed with exercise not so much out of mental strength but more as a way of maintaining some semblence of the fun part of my life.  I lost interest in sex and for the most part lost interest in seeing friends.  So working out was a way of staying in touch with some good things.

I worked part time and also lived on savings.  I could have worked those few hours I spent at the gym but I figured it was important to keep working out and get some enjoyment out of life.  I'm glad I did it even if my savings went down a lot.

I didn't use Procrit, Nuepogen or anti-depressants.  Not having to use Procrit and Nuepogen was just luck, the no on antiD's was choice.

I agree that people over do and end up getting wasted or sick especially on TX.  It's really important to keep doing it but also remember that you now have new (lower) limits while on TX.  I know for sure that if I had kept running, I'd have gotten sick with at least a cold maybe more because of the TX.  Anyway, hang in there and good luck with TX. Travis
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.