Hepatitis B Community

Anyone on Peginterferon alfa-2a

Is anyone on or have taken peginterferon alfta 2a and if so who was it?  was it hard? the good and bad things with it?  Did it help you clear the virus or get it to undectable levels.  And the cost of it.

Thank you all

KU
going to beat this
Probaly half the people here who are treating with interferon and ribavirin for HepC are using alpha2A.  The other peginterferon is alpha2B.  2a is called Pegasys.  You can go to www.pegasys.com for all the manufacturer information.  2a and 2b seem to have similar statistical results for HepC.  Either is used in standard of care, for at least Hepc (which is my perspective of experience) I'm not so sure sure about HepB though.
Personally, I've used both and for a variety of reasons prefer 2a (Pegasys) over 2b (PegIntron)
yes, I am on peg-inf alpha2a with 800 mg daily of Riba. I am a geno 2b.
24 weeks is my treatment length
I have 5 weeks to go.
From what I have read on this forum from others, my side effects are the norm.  It has not been fun (as I just hate to take drugs of any kind)...but, it has been doable.  The flu like symptom which supposedly is common, only affected me the first couple days after first shot.   I have not experienced any since.  My biggest complaint is the lightheadedness, and no energy.
I'm on it too. I prefer this medicine because it is weight based. I lost 14 lbs. so now I only need 4 ribas a day. I did 5 a day for many, many weeks - at least 30. I take 0.4 ml of peinterferon alfa-2b. I have been undetectable since week 13-15. Geno 1a. So I have to do 51 weeks. I had some trouble with nausea the first few months. Insomnia has my biggest sx. I wake up too early many days. But now that I'm retired I can take a nap. The riba wakes you up. Sometimes I go back to sleep.  The doctors like you to take the full dose of everything the first 24 weeks to hit the virus hard. I wish you all the best in your treatment and in achieving SVR.

Just finished up 48 weeks last Friday. I understand the sx for 2b is worse than 2a. It's been quite a ride nonetheless. You gotta put yourself in the right frame of mind when you start. The alternative worked pretty good for me.  It's not easy for alot of folks but neither is riding a unicycle. Once you start, stay commited. Some people are pulled off early by their doctors because of complications. But I think for the most part, it's just another chapter in the lives of those infected. Just remember, when the going gets tough...reach out to to those who understand... these people here.  
Hi, I'm doing 0.5mL of peg2a also...1200 riba...doing 3rd shot tomorrow nite(friday)...so far not too bad...a little spaciness, and nausea...i'm geno 3 so i'll be doing 24 weeks at least(if i'm not und at 4 weeks then 48 weeks)...cost is expensive, but the drug companies have programs to help out. wishing you the best!
Blessings
Just wanted to pat you on the back.

I am geno 2b so was fortunate to only go the 24 weeks, but 48 may not have been possible with the sx I had.  Finished a month ago and last weeks labs were good, so hopeful for svr.  Regards, G.

And KU, it is hard, but doable for most, so just settle in for the duration and remember the end result should be a longer and healthier life - what more incentive is there?  You can do it.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.