MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

BEST WAY TO AVOID HCC

Once HCC develop it is always fatal while it is true that we don't want HBV to progress to cirrhosis by treatment and suppressing the viral load , another thing to consider is the issue of HCC , my question is 1) what is the best way to diagnosis HCC   2) is there anything to do to avoid HCC?  May be drug or supplement or even food to lower the risk. I did my AFP test and the result is 9.6 , the normal  range is 0-10 . When I did the test 5yrs ago it was 2.7 I was wondering why the increase it is normal for the value to increase like this within 5 yrs , is there a way to lower the value
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
yes you are right i forgot to mention that when it is a small hcc caught on time by US monitoring it is possible to resect that part of the liver and get rid of the cancer which rarely comes back.
this is limited only if nodules are many and spread all over the liver or multiple nodules or big nodules

Helpful - 0
I'll try to summarise as I am myself in the process of changing my lifestyle and my diet:
It is an unordered list based on my recent research, will be changed as my knowledge increase, but is a very good overview of how we should live and eat in order to optimise ourself against hep b (but also other deseases):

- Being on treatment (peginf/entecavir/tenofovir) IF 1) both DNA>2000 IU and ALT>30 on 2 consecutive measurements done at least 3 months apart OR IF 2) Fibroscan > 7.0
- regularily monitoring Hep B (at least once every 6 months: blood tests + ultrasound/mri)
- regular exercise (+ loosing weight if overweight, must avoid/reduce diabetes)
- eating healhty (daily intake of vegetables and fruits preferably organic, avoid fat especially saturated)
- no smoking or alcohol
- lowering hbsag bellow 1000 IU if possible (peginf)
- statins
- coffee (at least twice per day)
- honey (should be fresh, raw & organic)
- black seed (freshly grinded better than oil)
- vitamin C
- vitamin D (make sure to get as much as possible of natural sun)
- being positive and leading a happy life (have to avoid stress as much as possible, if depression get on antidepressants)
- tees (peppermint tea... here I am lacking in knowledge a lot)
- pray and give thanks to God

Helpful - 0
but yes when hcc is found in a person that was not on regular 6-monthly screening...then its >90% deadly
Helpful - 0
*bellow 45 instead of  bellow 44 (mistake)
Helpful - 0
P.s. less then 5% of hcc are found in people bellow 44, it starts usually to be usually concern only after 45 (especially after 50)...but we  need to start screening for it no later than when we are 40...
Helpful - 0
Not true that HCC is allways deadly - nowadays when a HCC is found in a person that undergoes a regular 6 monthly AFP + Ultrasound monitoring, the person has slightly over 50% of chance of survival.

Tenofovir/entecavir have been shown to reduce AFP...are you using any of those? Get into daily/regular usage coffee, statin.

AFP elevation is often related to increased levels of hepatitis and not to HCC. However, as the value is evelated, and you are not sure what is the cause, it would be smart to play safe, be careful and follow it very closely until it hopefully drops again bellow 4-5:
You can do 3-monthly instead of 6-montly HCC screenings with both AFP and Ultrasound/MRI (MRI with liver-specific contrast is the best, if you can afford it go for it). For ultrasound/MRI find a reliable/experienced facility and operator, as it matters a lot who does your scan.

Don't panic...

Helpful - 0
Which HBSAG test do we need . Quantitative     OR Quanlitative ?
Helpful - 0
@stef2011 what about my AFP value of 9.6 compare to 2.7 5 years ago . Is the increase normal ? Is there anything to worry about concerning the increase ? Anything that can be done to reduce the value?
Helpful - 0
Antioxidant capsules help a lot in preventing cancers.
Helpful - 0
also simvastatin has been reported to prevent hcc by its antinflammatory effect

more than 4 cups of coffee per day also helps
Helpful - 0
hcc can be prevented the best but not 100% by

hbsag less than 1000iu/ml
hbvdna und
alt less than 30
fibroscan less than 6kpa
keeping vit d levels max of normal
eating antinflammatories like curcumin, resveratrol

in case of hcc treatment:
there are reports of gcmaf reversing advanced liver cancer, pancreatic cancer and so on, all are deadly
there is also a chemo drug but i ve read it just buys only some time vs heavy sides
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.