Hepatitis B Community

Combo Treatment: Baraclude + Viread (results)

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum -- I just found the thread through Google by searching Viread + Baraclude. My apologies if I ask a few stupid questions, I'm still learning a lot about HepB. =]

I want to start off by saying that I have been taking both Baraclude + Viread as part of a study in November. I will try to be specific as possible, but all my paperwork and results are back at home since I'm away for college. I'm a 23 year old Asian male and found out I had chronic HepB.

---------------------------------------------------DATA---------------------------------------------------
• 1st blood results were (taken in 07/18/2008). NOT ON TREATMENT
HEPATITIS B VIRAL DNA, QUANT PCR             1,630,000,000 H    <160 copies/mL

• 2nd blood results were (taken in 08/19/2008). NOT ON TREATMENT
HEP B VIRAL DNA QT                                      1,020,000,000 H     <160 copies/mL
                                                *some fluctuation in numbers, but still very high

♦I started the combo drugs sometime in November with the high DNA count above, if not more.

• 3rd blood results were (taken in December 2008): ON TREATMENT
HEP B VIRAL DNA QT                                      300,000 H     <160 copies/mL

• 4th blood results were (taken in January 2009): ON TREATMENT
HEP B VIRAL DNA QT                                      801 H    <160 copies/mL

• 5th blood results were (taken in April 2009): ON TREATMENT
HEP B VIRAL DNA QT                                      201 H     <160 copies/mL

My doctor said the goal is to get my HepBeAG to turn negative as it is the engine behind the whole process, and the viral count to Zero.

At the moment, I'm HepBeAB negative, and HepBeAG positive.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and hopefully I'll be able to do the same as well as provide answers.

Thanks everyone! Will keep everyone up to date!
My ALT and AST according to my FIRST (7/18/08) test results are:

ALT(sgpt)      83 H
AST(sgot)     38

I will try to get my hands on my recent Jan/April 09 results this weekend.
you look good so far.

viral load is considered by some UND . it can still go lower but you're good now

yes the ultimate immediate goal is whatg your doctor told you, the idea is to seroconvert from e antigen positive to negative.. once you reach that goal i believe your doctor will keep you on meds for another period of time 6-12 months and then take you off of meds and have you monitored periodically every 3-6 months

ALT is high obviously, but maybe with your new results it is within range now..

let us know how you feel

good luck
Your lab trends look good.  You should be UND by now.  Since you are only 23, it may take some time for you to "e" seroconvert, could be several years.  So be prepare to see your eAntigen stay positive for some time since there is still too much cccDNA taking hold in your liver cells producing too much eAntigen despite UND DNA.

What's the plan after you go UND?

What is the goal of the study?
Thank you for posting and sharing your lab results.

Recently I discussed Hep B and its various lab readings with a Western medicine trained hepatologist according to whom unlike the assumption of many patients with HBV, particularly new patients, that high HBV DNA is horrible and is what is killing the liver cells, what hurts and damages liver cells in patients with HBV is the human immune system that tries to fight the virus in liver cells.  That is why patients with positive HBeAg and very high HBV DNA often do not have correspondingly serious damage in their livers.

Many lab results posted at the Chinese HBV site are proof that antiviral drugs are effective at lowering HBV DNA to UND and ALT/AST to normal range but sadly many patients still complain of pain in liver area, fatigue, no appetite, cirrhosis, firbrosis, fatty livers and HCC.

That is why the view that HBV patients should not be satisfied with UND DNA and normal ALT/AST only but should demand negative HBsAg and positive HBsAB from their treatments.
"That is why the view that HBV patients should not be satisfied with UND DNA and normal ALT/AST only but should demand negative HBsAg and positive HBsAB from their treatments."

how can we "demand" such thing Jim ? you cant demand something that isnt supposedly there. one can offer something one does not have . so if - so far, there isnt a cure that brings you to  S antigen negative and antibodies postive , then there isnt much one can ask for.

you and i and a lot of people on here have kids.. and you know not a single day passes without me getting depressed about my hbv even for 5 minutes.. every time i look at the two God created rascals running around in the house i cant help but to worry about their future and mine for that matter. its been a year since i found out i had hbv. i must've gotten it some 15 years ago if i am correct about the symptoms that mightve been the acute stage of hbv that i was experiencing.
this thing has a cure.. eventually  that is.. all diseases have a cure.. God has not created a disease without a cure to it.. only two things we can not cure is old age and death. medicine cant cure or prevent that. so it is a matter of time before some cure is found.. hopefully it is found in our time while we are still here.

for how though, i know i can be hopefully and pray to God a cure is here soon but i also know i cant demand it..
one day jim.. one day :-)
"That is why the view that HBV patients should not be satisfied with UND DNA and normal ALT/AST only but should demand negative HBsAg and positive HBsAB from their treatments." -cajim

I take this to mean that HepB patients should push and advocate for continuing research to find a cure.  

"and you know not a single day passes without me getting depressed about my hbv even for 5 minutes.. " -bberry

What helps me is to try to adopt a more universal view.  Disease is a part of life.  When praying, don't just ask God for a cure but remember to thank God that HBV is now a  manageable disease.

Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.