A
A
Close
Hepatitis B Community
7.11k Members

Have any of you tried these herbs?

Here are quotes from newsmax.com:

"A lot of natural supplements aid in the treatment of Hepatitis B including:

* Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale): Native Americans have been using this supplement for long periods of time to treat liver disorders including Hepatitis B. Dandelion can work as a liver tonic and a rich source of Vitamin A.

* Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) is a Mediterranean herb that has been used for thousands of years for liver ailments.

* Andrographis panniculata, better known as Kalmegh in Ayurveda, is native to India and Sri Lanka. It helps protect the liver from toxins.

* Phyllanthus niruri, better known as Stonebreaker Herb, has recently been discovered to be useful in the treatment of hepatitis B. It is effective as an anti-viral herb.

* Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is beneficial as a hepatitis B treatment, but should not be taken for more than four to six weeks. It has been used in Japan as a therapy for chronic viral hepatitis."

Have any of you hbvers tried any of these herbs?
4 Responses

Milk thistle (Silybum marianum), this slow down and improve liver working but no antiviral effect on hbv, might interfere with antivirals, i've used this when i was very young for 6 months while inactive carrier.

Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) little effect on hbsag but nobody ever got hbsag neg only in vitro observation and none on hbvdna, toxic for the liver over a certain dose so liver must have no severe fibrosis to use it

Phyllanthus niruri and urinaria, effect on hbeag positive, might lower hbvdna 3 logs and make hbe negative according to a 48weeks trial presented at easl 2009.it is very important to have a good source for this herb because other trials failed to have any result

I am on milk thistle but don't know if its working.
I'm e antigen negative, e antibody positive ; do you think phyllanthus niruri may help to lower the virus count since this herb is anti-viral?
What exactly mean by antiviral? Thank you very much.

the results are superweak, 3 log is in the range of no treatment recommended, but you can try it it won t harm especially if you have hbvdna low, the problem is get a source of the real plant with no toxic mixures.

antiviral interfernce has been found with all Nucs drug for hiv-hbv-hcv (polymerase inibitors), it is safer to use it once the virus replication is und
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.