Is Entecavir 0.5 safe after becoming lamivudine resistant?

After taking lamivudine for about 1.5 years my mother's sgpt/sgot levels suddenly rose to 206 and 131 respectively (from 38 and 41 respectively 3 months back) along with a hbv dna of 18,00,000 iu/ml.But she has been asymptomatic throughout.We consulted another hepatologist who said that she had become lam-resistant thereby recommended her to take Entecavir 0.5 daily and get the tests done after 3 months.Her recent test results are:sgpt=40,sgot=44,hbv dna =1,64,000 iu/ml.The doctor is satisfied with this result and has asked her to continue with the treatment and repeat the tests after another 3 months.Now my question is that is she totally safe under ETV treatment or in the future there can be another issue with resistance.....?
by the way these antivirals kill no hbv virus, they just lower replication so that the liver is not damaged but the virus is still present in the liver, inside liver cells and in very low quantity in blood
absolutely not, you will develop etv resistance too which cannot be rescued by tenofovir for sure

the only drug that can be used after lam resistance is tenofovir
Entecavir treatment after Lam resistance is not that much safe. Tenefovir is absolutely better option if she does not have a problem in her kidneys.
I'm on baraclude 0.5mg since 2010.  Everything seems fine. I'm still positive for HBsAg , negative for HBeAg and Positive HbBeAb.
The treatment seems to go well. I'm constantly worried about become resistant. I don't believe in using the same drug for a long time without the virus learning to mutate to prevent drug from killing them. Eventually, all viruses and bacteria will learn the system and evolve.
if yo are naive to etv there is almost no resistance, 1.2%, it is only being resistant already to lam or telbivudine that makes etv useless.

this said tenofovir is the only drug with 0% resistance with naive or lam resistance patients
Thank you for your quick response.Should I change the doctor and look forward to take tdf?
absolutely, it is not possible to prescribe lam today even for very poor country tenofovir generics from india are very very cheap

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.