Hepatitis B Community

Story so far

Hello Everyone,
Right now my stats are :
E antigen negarive
S antigen positive
qHBsAg 16.40 IU/ML
anti HBs <10.00 IU/ML
ALT 29
AST 24
GGT 21
ALP 37
Calcium 2.27 mmol/L
adjusted calcium 2.27 mmol/L

I am currently taking
TDF 1x245mg tablet/day (since September 2011)
Simvastatin 1x20mg tablet per day
Vitamin D3 1x5000IU tablet per day
Blueberry extract 3x60mg tablets per day
Selenium tablet (1) per day

I met with my consultant today and I am so depressed now and disappointed. He will not put me on peginf.because:
-my age
-I have severe fibrosis saying inf can cause liver damage and decompensation
-caucasion
-he has no clinical evidence that it will work with someone so low as 16IU. Says surface antigen needs to be around 500IU/ML for it to work
-it is dangerous to take
-my ALT and AST are too normal; would prefer them elevated
I feel very low now and cannot understand why he cant at least try it for a few months at least.

My question to my learned friends is what can I do now?  I would like to self medicate other oral drugs as a first line to seroconversion before inf. Stef, can you suggest a drug regime that I could look at taking? Inf looks to be a little way off for me right now. I am in N Ireland and I do not have any choice of where to go next.
Thank you.
Hey aberdeen577, why don't you try the Heptech products to reverse your fibrosis?

What about NTZ? Good luck to you sir. It looks from your figures you are in great shape other that your fibrosis.

first of all this doctor said too many lies or wrong things if he is so stupid.......

what was your baseline hbsag?16iu/ml is such a low hbsag quantity could it be sim and d3 to make it so low?or maybe you started with such a low baseline hbsag?

what is your fibroscan?severe fibrosis is way over 16kpa and it is not true pegintf cannot be used on cirrhosis and that it can make decompensation, a stupid doctor not able to deal with that might make damage but not intf itself if correctly managed and anyway you ll never decompensate because being hbvdna und and alt normal pegintf and with so little infected cells left with hbsag 16iu/ml cannot make very high flares
please post your fibrosis on latest fibroscan and if you like you can reverse it very fast like a did on gcmaf plus heptech, probably a period like 6-12 months

it would be also interesting to see if gcmaf is able to clear hbv when infected cells are so low and hbsag so low, i guess it could work to clear hbv on you
Can inject double dose vaccine once a month for 3 month to boost the HBASG level and get response from PEG interferon.  PEG interferon can be use in cirrhosis as Steff saids.
Actually you are very well read. Hep B patients are often low on selenium and Vit D3. Your HBSAG is low probably due to cirrhosis.  could be due you killing infected cell.  PEG may help rid the last little bit of HBSag.  

57% patient can reverse cirrhosis just on tenofovir for 5 years.   Maybe if you add heptech it may be faster.  
i d try gcmaf ahead of heptech, it may have double effect on both hbsag and fibrosis and if it works it will show results in few weeks if it does not you can go to heptech which is sure to work but slower

also alinia might work on such low level and hbv vaccine plus zadaxin too

you have many choices before trying peg
Stef, in may 2011 my fibroscan was 11.7 kpa followed by biopsy which indicated f3/4 fibrosis. In november 2012 i had fibroscan in London and it was 8.7 kpa. I will have another one again in London in November coming. I am prepared to try drugs myself w/out resorting to inf at this stage.
Do you have other qHbsag tests? Your hbsag is very low and only a few are lucky to have such a low one. Make sure this value is already diluted otherwise you have to multiply usually by 500. But if you have such low hbsag values confirmed from other labs then there is surely no doubt you are in the low range.
Hi Jeff,

What is your status on Hep B. Are you an active or inactive carrier? And what is your current regime/treatment? Looking forward to your response.
My hep b is active.   My treatment is bit of whatever is discuss in this forum.  But  usually whatever I get my hands on locally.  however I tried some stuff like reishi mushroom and it has no effect.  Steff has incredible insight into the hep B and i usually read his insight to gain further understanding.  

To Aberdeen.. Please check your genotype as well.  

To Steff.  Aberdeen's doctor has a new insight.  Some people with very  low HBSAG is actually not going to respond to interferon.  That is why i suggested adding vaccine.  I wonder why this is so.

Aberdeen's doctor saids it is better to have high hbsag at 500hbasg iu/ml.  it is also better to have more damage as reflected by ALT before starting PEG.  

no this is not correct the lower the hbsag the higher the chance to clear, he has already the immune system clearing hbsag so adding pegintf plus sim or trying gcmaf plus zadaxin and hbv vaccine all might work

as to your biopsy results and fibroscan you had no cirrhosis and the values were not hgih to justify not using pegintf.the only thing a doctor might say is with such low hbsag you are probably clearing anyway, let s follow how hbsag goes down and then we will choose if adding pegintf, on the contrary what he said is wrong

anyway 8.7kpa is a good value and gcmaf might lowering to normal in few weeks if the theory of stemcells is correct.are you normal bmi or overweight?

that s all wrong that was a very old view on intf and it is even worst on nucs, that doctors understands nothing about hbv and pegintf just follow guidelines, old guidelines, without no clue about the way immune system/hbv/pegintf work
to sum up you can:

try gcmaf for 2-3 months and see how hbsag and fibroscan changes (gcmaf requires vitd>50ng/ml and oliv oil in the diet which increases oleic acid in blood)

start pegintf add on plus sim with normal blood levels of vit d

look for an expert and very updated liver specialist on nucs and peg add on, there are other members in uk that found very expert liver specialist who partecipate in making hbv uk guidelines, i can t find the name of this doctor in my emails, hopefully the member will post his name
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.