Hepatitis C: Post Treatment Issues Community
290 Members

Need help with long term Tx Effects

I'm looking for input that may lead to some help. I cleared 11 years ago after two tx with Intron/Ribo. At 54 I have no get-up. no motivation as if no adrenaline or testosterone along with the fatigue since tx. Lately getting depressed. I'm not complaining and don't regret tx, just want to improve quality of life. Also would like to know if anyone else in the same boat. Best of luck to all dealing with this disease
Hi elwye, You might get more responses if you post this question to the Hepatitis C: Post Treatment Issues Forum. It seems like many of the people on this forum at the moment are newer to Tx and Sx. I have seen similar posts on that forum. Good luck.
I wanted to say that you are not alone.  There are many people who have had problems and continue to.  Maybe now that the push is to get away from interferon there will be some truth coming out about the long term effects.  
My best to you, Dee.
So sorry I meant to say I will be back, I am sure others will be along.  Hang in there, Dee
hi! yes I successfully treated 8 years ago and am suffering the same side effects as you.I was diagnosed with Post Interferon Syndrome 3 or 4 years ago when my liver consultant admitted that 4% of his patients are in the same boat.It seems to have a lot in common with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.The fatigue and depression are the worst aren't they? Life in limbo...
I'm in the same boat. I finished 92 weeks of tx in Oct 2009, didn't SVR. I feel like I've been on a rollercoaster for the past few years: brain fog, fatigue, depression, it comes and goes. I've been seeing an endo for the past 6 months, found that free testosterone was really low, but testosterone therapy hasn't really helped. Will do some other tests with the endo, but he's starting to think it's something else.

The depression *****, but the brain fog and memory issues scare the bejeezus out of me, I'm wondering if I should get a brain MRI.

smaug
I've started with Luminosity for the brain stuff.  Heck, it's $46 or so for a year. At least it's something.  My psych PhD sister in law said if the various brain structures are not totally destroyed, they can regrow with use and "exercise."

Our primitive brain structures have been damaged - in our brain stems.  I read a recent Italian medical journal article that stated 100% of those who take interferon suffer cognitive function loss.