Hepatitis C: Post Treatment Issues Community
290 Members

Supplements after SVR

I achieved SVR as of March 2013, but unfortunately I achieved cirrhosis way back in 2004, so it has a huge lead time. I'm very fortunate, and grateful, that my liver has stayed well-compensated  all this time, but I realize that for at least the next 7 years or so, I will continue to have an increased risk of HCC and could still decompensate as well. I would like to do everything possible to speed up the recovery process and the "remodeling" of liver architecture that my hepatologist said should eventually occur. To this end, I'm looking over the recommendations for supplements. Unfortunately, HR Researcher is no longer around to ask and his archived comments are very much slanted towards those with active HCV. Does anyone know of well-researched recommendations for improving cirrhosis when HCV has been eliminated?

It seems that Cucurmin is a no-brainer, and I've been taking it since my EOT, but the other supplements in HR's list are less clear in benefit for SVR patients. What do you all know, or think, about this?
The no-brainer for me is the Coenzyme Q 10 for the reasons discussed in the last 1/2 dozen posts on the 'My Three' thread I started on this page. HCV causes damage specifically to the mitochondria of liver cells and CoQ10 is necessary to mitochondrial health. Willy50 has some good youtube links on that thread.
Because my job sometimes involves exposure to toxic chemicals (no matter how much PPE I wear), NAC  --  N-acetyl-L-cysteine  --  is another no-brainer for me. And given how much incidental toxic chemical exposure everyone receives these days, I think everyone who is SVR should probably supplement at least at the typical OTC level (aprox. 600 mg.)
PPC and resveratrol are two others worth researching if you're SVR.
This is a great question. I was going to ask a similar one about Resveratrol.
I'm going in for my last test and ultra sound in the beginning of Nov. I would like to get some ideas myself so I can present him with a list for his approval.

My hepa did say to not take vitamin E.

What I am taking: Vit. B complex  
                              Coenzyme Q10 100mg.
                               Vit A & D.    
                               Vit K          
  I'm going over this with him again at my appt. Because I can't remember if I asked about the last two!

Hope your hands better ceanothus!!      

Kitty

Oops I forgot to add that I take N-A-C also.

Thanks desrt!!!:)
This article is discussing factors concerning people on treatment. However, some of it may spill over into the area of people who have sustained SVR.

Mitochondrial Free Radicals, Antioxidants,
Nutrient Substances, and Chronic Hepatitis C

I especially took note of the following section of the article, which is near the end. It mentions liver histological improvement:

7.6. Combination of antioxidants and nutrient substances

Beside the use of those antioxidants, some nutrient substances treatments in mitochondrial damage have been reported to produce a positive effect, as reviewed in Tarnopolsky (2008) and Orsucci et al (2009). Further, the combined treatment with antioxidants and other nutrients has been show to efficiently decrease mitochondrial oxidative injury, increase mitochondrial ATP production, and to arrest the progression of clinical symptoms.

Beneficial therapeutic responses to CoQ (Gane et al., 2010), carnitine (Romano et al., 2008; Malaguarnera et al., 2011), choline (Niederau et al., 1998), or N-acetyl-cysteine (Cimino et al., 1998; Neri et al., 2000) have been observed in patients with hepatitis C. Furthermore, standard treatment with multiple nutrient supplements (including 2000 mg/day of ascorbic acid, 150 mg/day of GSH, 150 mg/day of LA, 800 IU/day of d-a-tocopherol as well as silymarin, glycyrrhiza, and schi zandrae) for six months leads to significant declines in ALT levels, improvements in liver histological status, and decreased HCV-RNA loads. Such supplements also produce mild beneficial effect in the inflammatory response of patients who are non-responders to IFN-a (Melhem et al ., 2001; Gabbay et al., 2007). Patients with chronic hepatitis C who received a combination of natural supplements (CoQ, EPA/DHA, Se, and vitamin B complex) for six months demonstrated significant improvements in immune function, reduced adverse side effects, and decreases in HCV-RNA loads.
Reductions in the rate of non-responders were also observed (manuscript from Dr. Simon Hsia). These observations suggest that the synergistic effects of antioxidants and mitochondria-related nutrient substances may be effective in antiviral therapy.

Link to article:

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/39565/InTech-Mitochondrial_free_radicals_antioxidants_nutrient_substances_and_chronic_hepatitis_c.pdf

About the Vit E, does anyone know why it's not good?
(I've been smearing it all over my skin since eot)
My Hepatologist was fine with everything I was taking except he said to take less Vit A than I was taking (so I decreased the number of days per week that I was taking it). However, I am at Stage 2 fibrosis and I don't know if someone with Cirrhosis would be able to take some of these supplement. I take the following:

Citracal Plus D  (1500 mg/1250 IU)
Vit D 50,000 IU weekly
Stress Vit. B Complex
Vit. E 400
Vit A 25,000 IU twice weekly
Omega 3-6-9 (Nordic)
Curcumin  400mg
Ultimate Antioxidant
Coenzyme Q10
N-acetyl-L-cysteine

Also, smearing Vit E on your skin is not the same as ingesting it.

Ceanothus, I don't know what might help with the liver fibrosis other than what was said in that article that I posted above. I don't know how many studies have actually been done.