Hepatitis C: Post Treatment Issues Community
290 Members

joint pain

I HAD HEP. C IN 1997 AND TOOK INTERFERON FOR 6 MONTHS AT WHICH TIME I COULD NO LONGER AFFORD THE 700.00 A MONTH FOR THE MEDICINE. MY HEP. HAD BEEN INACTIVE FOR 4 MONTH BEFORE DISCONTIUNEING THE INTERFERON. AT THIS TIME THE HEP. IS STILL INACTIVE.  I STILL HAVE ALOT OF JOINT PAIN  AND STIFFNESS AND HAVE A DIFFUCULT TIME WITH DAILY LIFE.  I AM 44 YEARS OLD  AND FEEL LIKE I AM 90. I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS A CONECTION BETWEEN THE JOINT PAIN AND TAKING THE INTERFERON BECAUSE THIS IS HOW I FELT WHEN I TOOK THE MEDS. I FELT WONDERFUL FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS AFTER TAKING THE INTERFERON BUT FROM THAT POINT ON I HAVE BEEN MESSERIBLE. I HAVE TRIED ARTHRITIS DRUGS AND PAIN RELIEVERS BUT NOTHING WORKS UNLESS I DRUG MY SELF  HEAVLY.
DOES ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THESE PROBLEMS? THANK YOU TRINTY
when you say inactive, do you mean you are clear(no viral load)?
the term inactive for chronic hep c does not really apply, if the virus is present, it is working on your system.
There are a couple of threads before yours, one on pain and the other on post tx residual effects that you might want to read.
I had joint pain before tx, that has gotten slightly worse on tx. I believe my pain was due to chronic hep c, initially. give us a little more info on your case, please.
This is an issue that many of us are now wrestling with.  First question, as asked above, did you eradicate?  Are you still undetected for the virus?  It seems that more than a few people who have achieved SVR in the recent few years are now surfacing with questions about on-going joint pain.  I am one of those people.  I am almost 8 months post-tx, SVR, and am now having more and more episodes of joint pain, and related 'autoimmune-like' reactions.  I am not sure your questions can be adequately answered at this time.  There is not yet enough information out there regarding ongoing after-effects of interferon/ ribavirin therapy.  Some seem to slowly resolve their pains and side effects during the first year or so after tx, but more and more I am reading posts about lingering, often very nasty, side effects.  Joint pain seems to be a central manifestation.  I am pursuing thyroid testing by specialists, since it appears that even mild thyroid disorder MAY contribute to joint aches and pains.  There is not a lot of consensus on this issue.  I tend to believe that we have 'kicked up' some generalized auto-immune disorders, and I am not sure if or when they should fade away.  It may just be a new fact of life for some of us!  Not a good prospect, but I still prefer having a liver that is not flaming out and is no longer taking us down the road toward a slow, nasty demise.  Hopefully they will figure out how to treat the nastier sides after tx, so that we can feel like we have recovered our HEALTH, along with our lives.  Keep us posted from time to time as to your progress, etc.  We will all continue to discuss these  issues, for those so affected.  Best of luck in the future.
Before I tx'ed, I couldn't open a door or hold a pen.  As soon as I cl'ed @ day 18, my joint problems started to resolve themselves.  I fin the full 24wks-just the drugs, not doing nothing in my system since the virus was dead, and now have the flexibility I lost 10 or more yrs ago.  So, I seemed to have the exact opposite post -tx result that you guys are talking about.

As w/everything else about hep c and tx, the results from one person to another can vary widely.
My husband has hepatitis C and has had it for probably over 30 years.  He was finally diagnosed in the early '90s.  He never really had any symptoms of joint pain until after taking the interferon/ribavirin combo 5 or so years ago.  His hepatitis did not respond to the treatment and his doctor wants him to try the Pegasys or PegIntron treatment.  His main complaint now is joint pain.  His doctor suggested Tylenol for the pain and he will take it at times but is afraid of the side effects of that.  I don't know if it was the interferon/ribavirin treatment or just 'old age' :}  We're both in our early 50's.  I have searched the internet trying to find alternative treatments but so far I'm skeptical about some of them.  I've heard that milk thistle will help certain aspects of hepatitis but will not cure the disease.  His genotype is 1A and his viral load is over 1,000,000.
I am glad you posted back with more info.  If you have read here for  a while, you might know that there are a few here that treated more than once before achieving svr.   there are also other tx repeaters who did not even respond.  I am also in  my 50's, 1a, low vl pre tx, on week 47 going for longer to ensure my cure.  My joint pain started with my last pregnancy, escalated until I finally got dx over a year ago with hcv.

best wishes with your husband's illness
After tonight, only 7 more! I started doing a Vioxx 3 hours before the shot, and the whole experience seems easier, without the joint pain.

I know you have had all that difficulty with Lymph glands.
This week was the first time I noticed the glands on my neck, right under the jaw, were swollen. Also, it seemed to cause a little difficulty swallowing. It's better this morning, but should I have the Doc check it out?

Steve