Hepatitis C Community

HEPATITIS RESEARCHER STATINS ??

what is your opinion on people with HCV taking a statin? my primary wants me to start one because my lipids are all out of range. i have not started it because i have read it is one of the worse drugs for the liver and can damage the liver. also what about antibiotics affect on the liver? certain ones to avoid?
can taking the heptapro you mentioned in an earlier thread along with a probiotic help if taken by themselves? perhaps add other things talked about little by little? i'm not much of a pill taker and would want to start out slow. thanks for the help
I remember reading a study here at MH about statins and HCV. I hope someone can find it. I'd like to give a copy to my heart doc.
let me clarify my post, i did not mean will taking heptapro & probiotic help my lipids, what i meant is will it help someone stage 1 to keep damage to a minimum while waiting for better drugs to be approved? thanks
My doctor (one of the "big" names in NYC hep circles) strongly insisted I take a statin during treatment. Part of the reason was that I have a fatty liver, or steatohepatitis, and he believes that the statins are beneficial. In addition there is a study that came out in 2006 during the AASLD about statins having an anti-hepc virus effect.  Quoting here...

"... they evaluated the anti-HCV activities of five statins: atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, pravastatin and simvastatin. When the statins were tested alone, all except pravastatin inhibited HCV replication. Fluvastatin had the strongest effect. Atorvastatin and simvastatin had moderate effects while lovastatin had a weak effect. ..."

Mark

thanks mark, i have had a few hepatologist including the one in boston tell me a statin would be ok for me to take. yes, i'm aware of the study done with statins, they seemed to have backed off for the time being on statins for HCV. i wish more research would be done on it and other drugs. there has to be more drugs that are already FDA approved like aliana that could help with HCV cure. i do not have fatty liver but my lipids are bad, all of them! i most likely will give the statin a try, only thing that bothers me is i have read that once you start them you are on them for life? your liver becomes dependent on them............
I posted again to bring this back to top of forum, I hope you will comment on this subject. i'm sure many would like to hear your thoughts. have a happy thanksgiving
From: Viewpoint: What Is the Risk of Developing Hepatotoxicity From Statin Therapy in Hyperlipidemic Patients With Hepatitis C?
Posted 08/31/2006
David A. Johnson, MD, FACG, FACP
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/542993?src=mp

Viewpoint
Drug-related hepatotoxicity cannot be viewed as a single disease. Many different mechanisms lead to hepatotoxicity, which may be predictable or unpredictable. In the case of statin-related injury, it seems to be an idiosyncratic reaction that is not predictable. Additionally, the evidence would support that no relation exists between the type of statin used and the occurrence of liver abnormalities. On the basis of these study findings, it also appears that in patients with hepatitis C and well-compensated liver disease, these agents can be used in a manner that is comparable to that in patients without chronic liver disease.

These findings are very much supported by a recent liver expert panel recommendation to the National Lipid Association.[4] This panel that (1) asymptomatic increases in aminotransferases represent a class effect associated with statin use and do not necessarily indicate liver dysfunction; (2) fulminant liver disease associated with statins is very rare; (3) routine monitoring of liver biochemistries is not warranted for patients receiving statin therapy; (4) well-compensated chronic liver disease and Child's A cirrhosis are not contraindications to statin use; and (5) statins can be used in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and steatohepatitis.

Appropriate use of statins in an expanded population of eligible patients should hopefully lead to improvement in the cardiovascular health of appropriately selected at-risk patients. Additionally, these agents may improve the hepatic disease — especially in those patients with hyperlipidemic-related nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.

Mike