Hepatitis C Community

Help for Hepatic Encephalopathy

Hello, about 2 months ago I finished triple therapy.  I am UND and feeling pretty good.  That being said I thought that since I was UND I no longer needed the Lactulose.  Wrong!  While I am UND hoping to be heading to SVR I realize that I need to take the Lactulose for now until my liver can filter toxins a little better than it is doing right now.

My question is, are there are other things I can do in addition to the lactulose?  Would a high fiber diet help?...or is it only the lactulose that removes the ammonia?  I appreciate any advice.  I see the doctor on May 1st and will also talk to him.  I was hoping to get help for now
Thank you
Dee
Hi Dee.

I didn't releaze you had advanced cirrhosis? Glad you are UND and looking good for SVR.

The only two drugs that treat Hepatic Encephalopathy (HE), Lactulose (or Kristalose) and Xifaxan (Rifaxamin) 550-mg  2x a day. Talk to your doctor about Xifaxan. It is very expensive. About $1,500 per month so hopefully you have good insurance.

Since you have cirrhosis it could take a long time before your still living liver cells (not the scar tissue) can regenerate again. Your doctor should have explained this to you. If you are seeing a gastroenterologist you should be seeing a hepatologist at a transplant center as they are much more knowledgeable and experienced in matters having to do with cirrhosis.

Here is the link to Xifaxan. Check out their $100 co-pay discount card too.
http://www.xifaxan550.com/

Without Xifaxan I don't know what I would do. Amazing stuff!
Good luck!
Cheers!

Hector
Talk about silent suffering - Dee you kept that one to yourself and that is like you.  You continue to amaze me.  Your selfless nature is one I long to emulate.   You are a rock with jelly inside.   I won't tell.  I am just really proud to know you.  
Thank you both so very very much.  I really appreciate both of your answers so very much
I was feeling really good and then I had 3 dental appointments in a week, two of them with lots of numbing shots, root canal, etc.  I do not think my liver is very happy with me right now as it has enough to do without that stuff.
Yes Hector I need to find a better doctor, thought I had one but now I know better so will do better.

Thank you so much for the reply
Dee
Dee, you deserve the best, so please see a hepatologist who is knowledgeable and experienced in treating cirrhotic patients. They may have have some insight into liver improvement post successful HCV treatment and what you can except.

You have done the work. Now it is up to your liver to do what it can to heal itself after so many years/decades of damage caused by HCV.

Ask about Xifaxan. It has really worked wonders for a lot of us with HE. Though I still have my flare ups. Things are much better than on Latulose alone.
I've been having some moderate HE in the last week or two. Insomnia is driving me nuts. Only got 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night and I am a little wacky lately (some would say more than a little!) and my thinking is all foggy and memory is poor these days. But like you said, over all I am feeling good. As good as it gets with ESLD and liver cancer.

Best to you!
Ciao.
Hector
dee, i just want to tell you what a strong woman you are!  you amaze me.  i wish you all the best with getting a better doctor.  best wishes.  belle
Sorry to hear your having a difficulty!  Praying it gets worked out ASAP!