Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.3k Members

4 week results

I don't have the specifics on this but I have had a 2 log drop.  I believe I started at 1.9 million and I am down to 160,000 copies.  I am happy it is heading down.  I won't know any more results until my 12 week pcr.  For those that don't remember me I have 1b and stage 1 grade 1 to 2 and I am 30 years old.  I am currently on shot 5\48.  Just thought I would pass along the news to all of you.  I haven't been on too much because my eye's can't handle looking at the monitor for long.  I hope it passes soon so I can get caught up in here.  Well bless you all and take care,

Steve
13 Responses
Great news! A two log drop at 4 weeks is how they tell if you are responding--and you ARE.

Sorry to hear about your eyes. Do sun glasses help at all. The reason I asked is because I have mine right here and just put them on and the monitor is not so bright. Maybe you could put some of that window tinting film on your monitor.

I am on shot 8/24.

Hang in there!
I need to try something to make it easier on my eyes.  I have just been lazy and haven't dealt with it yet.  I will find something that works soon too.  Thanks for the support.

Take Care,

Steve
A 1.9 MIL TO 160,000 IS A 6.278 LOG TO A 5.2 LOG OR A 1.07 DROP. CHECK YOUR FIGUERS AND I WILL RUN IT AGAIN.
BOBBY
Bobby is correct. You have a little over a one log drop. A two log drop would be 19,000 IU/ml. Still, dropping a little over one log is excellent and shows that you are responding. At this rate I'd think you have a very good chance of being non-detectible by week 12. You might ask your doctor for another VL test at week 8 to get a more exact idea of your progress.

-- Jim
had to use this post, i do not know which it was but it zapped me and hurt some. it was about 5 years ago and was $500 and tx and about 6 tx. worked great until peg tx. i liked your post re 50/50. agree 100%. even at stage 3 if i do not svr he will wait for new drugs. i will also. i still have short term memory laps?
bobby
137539 tn?1344383528
Steve it looks like you are well on your way to SVR  Good luck.

ok what denotes a 2 log drop and how do you figure it out?  I started at 2,500,000.  won't even be due for a VL test for a couple weeks as I just started but it would be nice to figure it out when I get them.
You just cross off a zero for each log.

You're starting with 2,500,000 so a one log drop would be
250,000; a two log drop would be 25,000; a three log drop would
be 2,500, etc.

What you will be looking for by week 12 is a 2-log drop (25,000 IU/ml) or better. Preferably non-detectible via a very sensitive test.

-- Jim
137539 tn?1344383528
Thank you Jim.  At this point I am only 1 week down 47 to go. But it is nice to know what I am looking for when blood work comes back.
As long as you have a 2 log drop you have it made!

You don't need to be UND until week 24 - that is the cut off for when they make you quit.  A 2 log drop at week 4 is excellent!

You are doing it keep it up!
My doc won't be testing me until week 12 to see if I have dropped.
I go today for cbc and lites, but nothing to do with the hep c until 12, I am so short of breath as of late, even if I talk to much, which for me is a regular occurance, I have to stop and take a deep breath.
Different tests have different sensitivities. For example, some doctors use a test that goes down to only 600 IU/ml. As long as someone tests under that amount they get a negative result, but that doesn't mean they are cleared.

Take the same person, the same day, and give them a more sensitive test that goes down to 50 IU/ml, and it's possible it may turn out that they have 200 IU/ml of virus in their system. So, indeed they weren't "clear" after all, only clear with the less sensitive test.

In general, any test that reports to 50 IU/ml or below is considered sensitive. In fact, at least as of a year ago, most of the European trials never tested below 50 IU/ml.

That said, many of us here use even more sensitive tests like Quest Diagnostic's quantitative Heptimax which goes down to 5 IU/ml. That's an excellent test to use either prior to treating or during treatment, as it's both sensitive and gives you a numerical result.  After treatment I decided to use Quest's qualitative TMA. It also goes down to 5 IU/ml but only tells you if you if the virus is detectible or not dectible. No number. But after treatment, the number really doesn't matter so much -- you really want to know if you still have it or if it's gone.

Going back to your question on what a 40 IU/ml viral load means. Again it depends on the sensitivity of the test. If the test is sensitive to 5 IU/ml, then the person has detectible virus in their blood, i.e. they are not clear. However, if 40 IU/ml is the tests limit, then they are indeed non-detectible according to a fairly sensitive test.

Hope this clarifies and please ask more questions because it can be a confusing subject.

-- Jim
Hi maamir -- sounds like you were talking about me.  I had 40IU/mL at 12 weeks and the sensitivity of the test went as low as 2 IU/mL (this was the LabCorp QuantaSure). I was definitely not clear of the virus.

Bill54 explained it really good one time -- for example, I had  40 IU's of virons in 1 milliliter of blood.  Now the average body has 5.6 liters of blood.  1 millilter = .001 liters.  so, I may have had 224,000 IU running around in me (40 /.001 x 5.6). (if you convert that back to copies which I think are the actual numbers of virons, it was about 560,000 of the little suckers (the LabCorp conversion from copies to IU is about 40% - other labs have different conversions)

LabCorp has two QuantaSure tests and the ranges are different --

The QuantaSure tests from 2 - 2,000,000
The QuantaSurePlus tests from 10 - 100,000,000

For me, like Jim was explaining, the low end of the test is what is important.  I no longer (in fact ever) needed to know if I had 100 million IU/mL in me. Thus I requested for my end of treatment PCR the QuantaSure

I didn't think too much of it - not being clear at 12 weeks since my vl was so low until a relapser posted that she had 45 IU/mL at 12 weeks and was clear thereafter and still relapsed.  That gave me pause, and I decided to researh further.  It was my decision to go 36 weeks after reaching clear.  Whether or not I need that extra 8 weeks to reach SVR I will probably never know.

Sorry so long winded here.  Sometimes I have to justify my extending treatment to myself.   You may have to research the websight for whatever lab your doctor uses, but you may request a more sensitive test and they should honor it.

frijole
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.