Hepatitis C Community

6.50 hrs late taking riba

Should have taken riba at 7 last night remembered at 1.30 this morning so I took the riba then. how long should I wait to take before I take my 7.00am pills?
take it at your normal time. this wont effect your level at all this far into tx.
Dave.
riba's half life is very long so this wont affect your treatment in any way. Someone could take all the daily riba at once if they wanted to but the reason it is split into two doses is to not upset stomach.
the half life of ribavirin is 12 days - Multiple Dose; 120-170 hours - Single Dose. Ribavirin will also stay in your body for up to six months after tx because it is stored in your red blood cells and as the blood cells degrade it is was again released.

The only reason we take two doses of ribavirin is because it can cause gastro issues for some. If you are beginning treatment it's not a good idea to miss doses of course because you therapuetic level has not yet been achieved, if you do though just take it closer to the next dose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribavirin
"Pharmacokinetics

Ribavirin is absorbed from the GI tract probably by nucleoside transporters. Absorption is about 45%, and this is modestly increased (to about 75%) by a fatty meal. Once in the plasma, ribavirin is transported through the cell membrane also by nucleoside transporters.

Ribavirin is widely distributed in all tissues, including the CSF and brain. The pharmacokinetics of ribavirin is dominated by trapping of the phosphate form inside cells, particularly red blood cells (RBCs) which lack the enzyme to remove the phosphate once it has been added by kinases, and therefore attain high concentrations of the drug. Most of the kinase activity which converts the drug to active nucleotide form, is provided by adenine kinase. This enzyme is more active in virally infected cells.

The volume of distribution of ribavirin is large (2000 L/kg) and the length of time the drug is trapped varies greatly from tissue to tissue. The mean half-life for multiple doses in the body is about 12 days, but very long-term kinetics are dominated by the kinetics of RBCs (half-life 40 days). RBCs store ribavirin for the lifetime of the cells, releasing it into the body's systems when old cells are degraded in the spleen.

About a third of absorbed ribavirin is excreted into the urine unchanged, and the rest is excreted into urine as the de-ribosylated base 1,2,4-triazole 3-carboxamide, and the hydrolysis product of this, 1,2,4-triazole 3-carboxylic acid."