Hepatitis C Community

Acid reflux and Hep C

Has anyone treated acid reflux while having hep C? I was going to try Prilosec, then read that people with liver damage shouldn't take it. I've been sleeping upright at night but it's not enough.

smaug
Also have acid reflux and i'm cirrhotic, prilosec is what my hepo put me on, been on it for a few years and it works great.
First, liver damage is not the same as HepC.  You can have HepC without significant liver damage and you can have liver damage without HepC.  Fatty Liver Disease can lead to significant liver damage for example.  Secondly, it is possible to take necessary medication which can give your liver a work out but not necessarily do it major damage.  I had been taking Prevacid, then Aciphex then Dexilant, all heavy weight prescription drugs for reflux once, sometimes twice a day for years with HepC and little if any fibrosis.  When you are treating I think you need to be careful from what I have heard (see post on the subject of other medications and treatment).   This of course doesn't mean one doesn't make the necessary dietary changes as well as not eating within 4 hours of bedtime and elevating the head of the bed etc.  Checking with one's physician is always best.  
PPIs and H2 blockers are ok on tx. Antiacids such as Tums , Mylanta ect........
are to be avoided because they can hinder Riba absorption.
I am not sure about the PIs because they have a whole new list of medications
that are contraindicated .
I was diagnosed with GERD and took prevacid (another PPI) prior to, after, and during my whole tx with my hepa's approval, not cirrhotic, stage 2/3.
-Dave
Thanks for the helpful input.

smaug
I've been taking 40mg's of nexium for almost 10 years, no problems.