Hepatitis C Community

Advice on current condition

I'm a 58 year young male.Outside of being diagnosed with HCV 5 years ago I'm in excellent shape.I'm 5"10 190lbs with a 34' waist.I go to the gym 4 days a week and bench press close to 300lbs.While my endurance is not what it was that could very well be due to age.

Anyway,I'm a geno1 and had my first bio 5 years ago and it came back 0.I had my last Bio last week and I'm waiting for results.I eat very healthy,no alchohol,don't smoke,and little red meat.

Having said all this positive stuff my Viral load has gone from 1 million to 33 million in the past 18 months.My doc says there is not necesarily a relationship between my VL and degree of inflamation of the liver,hence my Bio last week.

Like most,I do not want to start meds at least until the results and side effects have improved alot.My doc says if the results of the bio are less than 2 then he would not recommend meds given my physical condition.

My alt and ast are slightly raised.

So,in advance of my results I'm hoping to get some thoughts as to what the board thinks I should do given the info I have provided and under various results from the Bio.

Thanks in advance..Dave
I have to balance the information a bit, on muscle issue. I treated for 72 wks and had no muscle or wt loss, it is  a very individual thing. I know people that continued to go skiing and other types of physical activities. I myself was able to do my 2x wk trip to the Y. Once the anemia(from the riba) was under control, I did not have the excruciating muscle pain.  Not every body, in fact, most, do not experience severe debilitating symptoms, according to my hepatologist.
You will read horror stories and wonder if you will be one of those, then you read the ones that continue with some normalcy, and you hope you will be one of them.
You will not know until you try it yourself.
At one point, my doc suggested testosterone gel or even some steroids to build me up. Thankfully, my weight stablized at 150 and I didn't go that route.

While I had to stop working out in the beginning, later in treatment I did start going to the gym. Basically did whatever I used to do but MUCH shorter workouts with much less weight. And where I used to run, now I power walk.

Lately, my strength has been coming back, but not so much the muscle mass. As a body builder, you  probably know more about that then me.

Also (don't laugh) I've been using the Total Gym (Chuck Norris/Christy Brinkley infomerical) at home and it's helped a lot. Very convenient because I can hop right on it for a few minutes whenever I have the energy.

Anyway, glad you popped in here and please let us know how things go with the biopsy. BTW I'm about your age (just turned 59). Question, a 300lb bench is very impressive to the likes of me. I assume you're doing this drug free because certain drugs/supplements can have consequences for the liver although your liver seems to be doing very well with whatever you're doing.

-- Jim
Thanks alot NYGirl for the clarification.
Hey no problem!  When I first came in here I just couldn't believe how fortunate I was that there were SO MANY CARING people in here to help me out with my questions. And man oh man I posted like a fiend I had SO many questions I thought they would throw me out.

was one of the luckiest things that ever happened to me.  While treatment is completely tolerable for me...these guys have almost made it "fun" at times. Knowing if I didn't have HCV I would have missed out on some REALLY big laughs.

When I read your post I sort of envisioned Popeye - not really because of your description but because I am so tall and skinny right now that I thought if we stood together I'd look like Olive Oyl.  ;-)

JmJm...I have never taken any steroids or drugs..I took creatine many years ago for a few weeks and then got off it.I eat very healthy and my daily lunch is this expensive but very nutritious product called "Ultimate meal"...its an incredible product and you don't need to take any other supplements with it.I mix it with "Very vanilla Soy milk" and its palatable.I would highly recommend this to anyone trying to get some terrific nutrients and protein in their body...I figured that while it cost $70 for a 2 week supply I was actually saving money cause I cut out all my other vitamins and supplements.

I eat so very healthy with lots of blueberries and raspberries and soy.Very little red meat.Lots of water.Prunes get a bad rap because people associate them with the aged but they are incredibly healthy.

Thanks all for your support..I had no idea how many caring people are on this board.Dave
http://www.pbase.com/dsg2/dave......No Popeye here NYGirl :)
Yikes...didn't mean to post my entire gallery LOL...just under dave...photography is my passion,my obsession...it gives me so much peace and satisfaction.
Best to you debby...nice to meet you..talk later,Dave
I agree with your doctor.

Just make sure if you decide not to treat to stay with what appears to be a very healthy lifestyle and be followed by your doctor on a regular basis. You might also want to take a yearly Fibrosure test and yearly Fibroscans when they become readily available in this country which hopefully will be in a year or so. As your doctor may have told you, better treatments are hopefully on the horizon. BTW using my treatment experience as a guide, you'd be lucky to bench 100 lbs by week 24 of treatment. Interferon loves muscle tissue alsmost as much as the Hep C Virus. LOL.

-- Jim
Thanks for your comments..I did not realize interferon had such an adverse effect on muscle tissue...being that I have been an athlete and bodybuilder since I was 15 it would be especially difficult to see my strength and muscle tone decrease almost week by week....at any event,I'm hoping next week will bring me good news as far as my bio and I can hold off meds til much better meds are approved...Dave
I'd just add that whatever your biopsy result -- unless you're a stage 4 -- you might want to wait until the second quarter of 2006 before making a final treatment decision. By that time, hopefully there will be some preliminary data on a new trial drug called Vertex that will help clarify whether or not it keeps the virus down once treatment is over. What they should have by then is wha'ts called SVR (sustained viral response) data.

-- Jim
I started treatment at 176 pounds and was down to 150 pounds three months into treatment. Most of the loss was muscle. My doctor says this is very common with men. No one can accurately predict when the newer drugs like Vertex will be out but I've spoken to some doctors involved with the trials and they're talking 3-5 years at most should the drugs prove themselves. That said, trials for first-time treaters are starting right now so that's always another possiblity.

-- Jim