Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

After finishing treatment, what should I do with leftover meds?

I finished treatment yesterday. I feel wonderful!!!

I have some leftover meds. I have one unopened bottle of Three Rivers Ribasphere, Ribavirin capsules, 180 capsules, 200mg each. I have another opened bottle of Three Rivers Ribasphere, Ribavirin which is only about a quarter used. I also have two inject able Neupogens which are unopened and are in my refrigerator.

Does anybody have any ideas about how to put these meds to good use? Is there a way to donate them?

Bob
22 Responses
yes i have 3 syringes of neupogen in the frig and was told to hang on to it i may need it,but with a 2.5 wbc & neutrophil 1130 the dr said i'll recover on my own,Good question,what to do with it ?
Probably be inherently difficult to recycle them but if that fails how 'bout a very big beach bonfire?  Sorry, I'm really going to feel like c**p if you live in Nebraska.  Really, as with any question like this I'd check with my doctor.  I wish you a wonderful, peaceful weekend.
Dog_Lover
I think if I had some left over (still - on week 38 or 39 out of 72 I have a way to go it seems) I would see if there was a local clinic in the area or something.

Or hold on to them for a little while because somebody on here might need them and then there you go!

Congrats on being finished = what a HUGE milestone that is you must be so glad tonight isn't shot night!  I ain't looking forward to it I can tell you that much and can't WAIT for the day I feel "normal" again whatever that was!
Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I'm holding onto my leftover meds until I'm non-detectible six-months post treatment, or if the expiration date comes close, whichever comes sooner. But if you do want them out of the house, definitely return them to your doctor, or a clinic as suggested, however, I doubt if any medical facility will accept an opened bottle of riba.

-- Jim
unopened bottles can be donated to the research hospitals or clinics. I gave mine to my hep practice.
Jim you ever part with your riba, yeah right. Like i'm gonna win the lottery and i don't even buy tickets.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.