Hepatitis C Community

Anyone have links to studies/journals (not pubmed) on hepatitis c and nausea

Im researching hepatitis c and nausea, I have searched pub/med and there arent a lot there.  Is there another source or link that any of you have where there are studies done on this subject.

Would appreciate anything you can come up with.

Linda
Try http://www.clinicaloptions.com/ is got lots of information about HCV.
Hope it Helps.

D.J.313
Are you talking about Hep C and nausea or Combo treatment and nausea? Lots of us experienced the latter and it seems mostly riba related and more common early-on in treatment. Zofram seems to be the gold standard for chemo-induced nausea. For me, nausea had to be one of the worst sfx's of the drugs. Another couple of weeks of nausea and I would have thrown in the towel. You might try searching more here: http://www.projectsinknowledge.com/ and
here: http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hiv_hcv_co_inf_articles.html

-- Jim
Im researching only hepatitis c and nausea without interferon/riba, as a symptom of having hepatitis c.
Thanks for the links, I will have a look.

If anyone can put some comments on their own experience in here on nausea and hep c without treatment it would be appreciated and would help.

Cheers
Linda
I met a lady yesterday, she has been on tx for 4 months, was vomiting/nausea until she discovered that taking Yoghurt and milk with her riba stopped all this happening.
Have any of you heard of this?

Linda
Hi Hippygem, was going to change my handle to Hippychick, but I didnt want you to think I was stealing from you! ha ha! I am getting a 'bit' hippy don't cha know, and I'm not talking about communes! anyway,  going to try your recipe this week, wish me luck! hope youre well!
Have you tried MedPot.net ?
And have you seen this one?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SEPTEMBER 12, 2006

Medical Marijuana Boosts Hepatitis C Treatment in New Study
UC San Francisco Researchers Find Marijuana Users Three Times More Likely to Successfully Eliminate Virus

CONTACT: Bruce Mirken, MPP director of communications, 202-215-4205 or 415-668-6403

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA -- A new study from the University of California, San Francisco, just published in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, suggests that medical marijuana boosts the success of treatment for the hepatitis C virus (HCV). Untreated HCV can lead to liver failure and death, but in the new study, marijuana users being treated for HCV were three times more likely to have a "sustained virological response" -- i.e. HCV could not be detected six months after they completed treatment.

While extensive research has shown that marijuana can provide symptom relief, this is believed to be the first published study linking marijuana to improved cure rates for a life-threatening illness.

HCV treatment utilizing the drugs ribavirin and interferon is notorious for its severe side effects, including nausea, vomiting, weight loss, sleeplessness, and depression, which cause many patients to discontinue the long, demanding regimen prematurely. In this study -- which focused on a difficult patient population: seventy-one recovering drug users receiving methadone maintenance while simultaneously being treated for HCV -- those using marijuana were significantly more likely to complete their treatment regimens. The researchers, with UCSF and OASIS in Oakland, California, theorized that marijuana relieved the patients' medication side effects sufficiently to allow them to complete treatment, and concluded, "our results suggest that moderate cannabis use during HCV treatment may offer significant benefit to certain patients."

Overall, 54 percent of marijuana users had a sustained virological response, compared to only 18 percent of non-users. The study was published alongside a commentary by a separate team of Canadian researchers describing the evidence that marijuana relieves debilitating side effects of treatment for HCV, cancer and AIDS, and calling for patients to be "legally permitted" to use it.

San Francisco patient Brian Klein, 48, (not a participant in the study) credits medical marijuana for enabling him to be successfully cured of HCV in his second attempt at treatment, in 2003-4. "One of the main reasons treatment succeeded was that I was able to stay on my medications, " he said. "The first time I tried treating my HCV, in 2001, the nausea was so bad I couldn't even keep water down, and I had to stop after two months. Medical marijuana allowed me to successfully treat my hepatitis C and clear the virus."

"This is a landmark study, showing that medical marijuana can literally save lives," said Rob Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, D.C. "Every day that our government continues punishing the sick for using this medicine is literally a crime against humanity."

With more than 20,000 members and 100,000 e-mail subscribers nationwide, the Marijuana Policy Project is the largest marijuana policy reform organization in the United States. MPP believes that the best way to minimize the harm associated with marijuana is to regulate marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol. For more information, please visit http://www.mpp. org.

REFERENCES:
Sylvestre DL, Clements BJ and Malibu Y. Cannabis use improves retention and virological outcomes in patients treated for hepatitis C. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2006, 18:1057-1063.
Fischer B et al. Treatment for hepatitis C virus and cannabis use in illicit drug user patients: implications and questions. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2006, 18:1039-1042.
As if the visual of the entrails hanging from the lower orifices wasn't enough, now you add a fat @ss to the picture.

Sweetness. ;-)
Thanks for posting that. It should spark some 'interesting' dialog.

I most definitely am *not* an anti-pot crusader - but 18% SVR in the control goup? What were they giving them, twinkies instead of riba?
I really am terrible. I am so impatient when it comes to reading anything on the computer screen unless its short. If I really want to read it, I will print it out. That is my long winded way of saying I was merely passing on info. However, my herbalist who has many Hep C patients says marijuana is great for helping with the side effects especially nausea.
hiya foresee, ha, u wanna steal my name huh....go ahead, i think hippychic would suit you, i wouldnt mind at all, others might get us confused though.  Dont forget to take Activated B3 with the 5htp for it to work properly.

orphan, thanks but I already have the maryjane link, interesting reading eh, I have a friend that smokes pot to relieve the itching, its the only thing for him that works.

goofydad, what entrails from the nose and whos fat @ss.....ha, do I need to look at my pic?.....sheesh.

Take care all

Linda