Hepatitis C Community

Article for those interested in insulin resistance

I thought this was interesting especially because magnesium was I believe often low in those with cirrhosis also.  Magnesium is also cheap which I always appreciate. I don't think I have heard any downside to supplementing magnesium by the label instructions but maybe someone else knows something I don't.  I have given it to Joe on and off.  Maybe we should stay on?

Magnesium Needed to Help Correct Insulin Resistance
Monday, October 25, 2010 - Byron Richards, CCN

Health Newsletter Details
Magnesium deficiency is pervasive in America. And so is type 2 diabetes.  I recently reported on this in an article titled Magnesium Intake Linked to Diabetes Risk.  Several more studies add further emphasis to the importance of magnesium in maintaining proper blood sugar health.

The first study evaluated magnesium levels in men and women ages 60 – 90 with the metabolic syndrome.  Those with metabolic syndrome had lower magnesium levels than those not having the problem.  In particular, magnesium affected blood sugar levels and insulin resistance.

Another recent study showed that taking 600 mg of magnesium per day significantly improved blood sugar metabolism as well as triglycerides and cholesterol.

Ev,
Since muscle is what uses up glucose I would focus on building new muscle
more than any cardio excersise because that only burns energy while you do it
whereas muscle will burn glucose much more gradual and a lot longer
over time.
It must be very challenging when your Dr. tells you not to lift more than 10lbs because
of varcises. But even light weight training if done daily will increase muscle mass
and if combined with a low glycemic diet will definately bring down blood sugar.
If I go with a smaller weight I do more repetitions.
A great piece of inexpensive excersise equipment is the fitness ball or gym ball.
I use it daily.

Being on tx I am very anemic and pushing any weights requires longer breaks
in between but I keep doing it because it is very important in my view.
If it is to keep insulin down because it cancels out INF or just to stay in shape.
There will be life after tx and no matter what the outcome I prefer to be as physically
in shape as much as I reasonably can.

:-)
Wonder how much Magnesium you would need to take to get that benefit?  Multivitamins w/ no iron of course have all those minerals like zinc, selenium, magnesium. etc.  
The article mentions 600 mg in the bottom line.  I don't have a copy of the studies it talks about.  I guess you would want to subtract the amt. from your multi but I haven't had time to read up on magnesium doses and safety yet.  I've read this before but my brain is a leaky seive.  Right now ,I have my 7 year old talking me to death and I can hardly have a completed thought.  I will try to check later unless someone else beats me to it.
Ev
Oh I see.  600 mg.  I can't hear myself think today.
I came across this article:

Researchers Discover Hepatitis C Causes Insulin Resistance in Muscle
09 March 2010

We have known for several years that Hepatitis C, a common cause of liver cirrhosis and cancer, also makes people three to four times more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes.

In studying the insulin resistance of 29 people with Hepatitis C, Australian researchers have confirmed that they have high insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes. However, almost all insulin resistance was in muscle, with little or none in the liver, a very surprising finding given that Hepatitis C is a liver disease.

Insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas, helps the body use glucose for energy. The two most important organs that respond to insulin are the liver and muscle. A healthy liver responds to insulin by not producing glucose, while healthy muscle responds by using glucose. An insulin resistant liver produces unwanted glucose, while insulin resistant muscle cannot absorb it from the bloodstream, leading to high levels of sugar in the blood.

"Contrary to all expectations, not only did we find no significant insulin resistance in the liver of the patients in the study, half of them suffered from a strain of Hepatitis C that causes about three times the normal level of fat to accumulate in the liver," said study author Professor Don Chisholm.

"The fifteen people with very high levels of fat in the liver had the same degree of insulin resistance as the fourteen that didn't have fatty livers."

"A number of important investigators around the world have been arguing that fat in the liver is an extremely important determinant of insulin resistance, perhaps the most important. At least in this context, we've shown that not to be the case."

"Before you get Type 2 diabetes, you must become insulin resistant and your insulin producing cells must also fail to compensate. Insulin resistance alone will not give you diabetes."

"In our study, we gave intravenous glucose, a specific stimulus to insulin secretion, and showed that insulin secretion was not impaired in Hepatitis C patients compared to our control group."

"This finding tells us that people with Hepatitis C who develop diabetes probably have susceptible insulin-producing cells, and would probably get it anyway – but much later in life. The extra insulin resistance caused by Hepatitis C apparently brings on diabetes at 35 or 40, instead of 65 or 70."

"More work now needs to be done into why Hepatitis C causes insulin resistance in muscle. That will give us better insight into the behavior of the disease."

"At this stage, it is helpful for people with Hepatitis C to understand insulin resistance and what it can mean for them. If they have relatives with Type 2 diabetes, they will be genetically prone to developing it themselves and so would be advised to manage their diets very carefully and take plenty of exercise – to slow onset."
Thanks for bringing this up.  I know Joe's first and only biopsy showing cirrhosis, did not show a fatty liver.  I remember the PA brought this up when I was arguing for Metformin before starting TX.  She said, "No way" and I then took my studies to Joe's regular MD and he gave it to him.  Well, none of it worked in the end but I think the PA would be more agreeable to test him for insulin resistance now.  After many months on TX, I mentioned to his PA that he was on Metformin and apparently without remembering our earlie conversation, she said, "Oh good."  In a matter of a few months enough research had emerged to change her stance.  If there is a next time, we would have to consider predosing before starting.  He was quite a few weeks into it before he got the Metformin. I wish we could get cowriter to comment on this and what all it could end up meaning. So far Joe doesn't have diabetes but his blood sugars are a bit higher than they should be.  We should be taking them now and then but have been somewhat ignoring it for now.