Hepatitis C Community

Ban on Vicodin and Percocet Limitation on Tylenol

Proposed Tylenol restrictions worry patients
FDA is considering reduced maximum dose, ban on Vicodin and Percocet

WASHINGTON - Proposed limits on Tylenol, a painkiller as common as pain itself, have left many consumers fearful, confused and wondering where to turn for relief. The potential government crackdown on acetaminophen, Tylenol's main ingredient, would affect everyone from occasional pill poppers to chronic pain sufferers who rely on daily doses to make their lives more bearable.

If adopted by the Food and Drug Administration, the changes would lower the maximum over-the-counter Tylenol dose and would ban two narcotic painkillers, Vicodin and Percocet, which also contain acetaminophen.

Yet another painkiller, propoxyphene, was the target of FDA action on Tuesday. Also sold as Darvon and in an acetaminophen combination called Darvocet, it has been linked to accidental overdoses and suicides. The prescription medication will now come with a pamphlet describing the risk.
More ....... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31782102/ns/health-more_health_news/
-----------------
I think people have been aware for YEARS that you cannot take too much Tylenol or it can hurt your liver but to liken Vicodin and Percocet to "candy mixed with poison" is just ludicrous. All meds have their place in the world and not everybody becomes addicted to them. It's up to the doctors to make sure they are not over prescribing - not take away these sort of mild pain meds to the rest of the world who can use them judiciously.  That's my opinion.
If they ban perks and aspirin and VICS...the sales of OXYS will skyrocket....gotta keep those poppy fields in Afganistan growing...why do you think the troops are over there?  big profits in poppies
I have been saying since I got diagnosed "why does there even have to be tyenol mixed with it?  Made the damn pills without the tylenol.  How hard would that be?  

I had a biopsy for the porphyria and begged for the vicodan with the lower tylenol in it.  The dermatologist never heard of it.  I was scared to add tylenol to an already compromised liver.

ahhh heII just give me dialaudid (just kidding) never took it and have no desire to.  I just took 2 tylenol for the swelling in my spine where it locked up a few days ago............and it ain't gettin any better.

Denise
Dis you know tynenol is the major cause of all liver transplants and not hepatitis
Acetaminophen overdose is a leading cause of liver damage in the United States. Researchers say it resulted in fifty-six thousand emergency room visits a year during the nineteen nineties. There were almost four hundred sixty deaths a year from liver failure.

http://www.voanews.com/specialenglish/2009-07-07-voa3.cfm
"Hepatitis C represents the leading cause of liver transplantation in the United States and Europe"  Received 9 December 2008/23 January 2009; accepted 19 February 2009
http://www.clinsci.org/cs/117/cs1170049.htm

"HCV infection can lead to cirrhosis, hepatocellular carcinoma, extrahepatic manifestations, and is the leading cause of liver transplantation in the United States.:
http://www.rockefeller.edu/labheads/rice/

"HCV is the leading cause of liver transplantation and causes
approximately 8,000 to 10,000 deaths each year in the United States."
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS96774+08-Jun-2009+BW20090608

"HCV infection is the leading cause of liver transplantation in the United States."
http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporter/index.html?ID=7198

Acetaminophen aka Tylenol is probably more damaging to your liver than alcohol. Some teens being uninformed and believing they can't be harmed drink "syrup" aka liquid Tylenol. The only treatment is mucomyst sp.? and sometimes it is too late to save them. Some narcotic drugs taken without adding Tylenol would be the way to go in my opinion, I know many will disagree.... But chronic pain sufferers such as myself can be effectively treated with Benzadiazapines, such as Valium are useful for those suffering from muscle spasm esp. in the lower back . You must also consider many people Doc shop go to various ER's and clinics and obtain narcotics this way. Over regulation rarely works, people will find ways to get what they need.
Did you know tynenol is the major cause of all liver transplants and not hepatitis ??

maybe this should say  tynenol is the leading cause of liver damage in the United States. and not transplants....but ill bet tynenol has a direct and indirect effect on the tansplant numbers
My kids are allergic to Advil and cannot take it.  They have to take Tylenol for pain meds.

I remember reading just how much tylenol you have to take to get liver damage from it and it was a LOT.  People should just have enough common sense not to take 20 of them at a time and to follow the medicines directions is what I think. I understand that people who take Vicodin and Percocet are often taking many of them a day - but they can easily enough take the tylenol out of the equation and just give the people the hydrocodone or whatever it is called so that they aren't ingesting 20 pills of it a day.

Responsiblity lay on the person just like with alcohol - two beers is one thing but two cases is another. This will cause liver damage. Are they going to put the alcohol commission after them to stop selling that or to limit the sale?

I doubt it.
Regarding your most recent post saying: "maybe this should say  tynenol(sic) is the leading cause of liver damage in the United States. and not transplants....but ill(sic) bet tynenol(sic) has a direct and indirect effect on the tansplant(sic) numbers".
My answer is Yes, I agree that it should have said, and perhaps it is accurate, that Tylenol is the leading cause of liver damage in the US.
And yes  I agree that Tylenol use and abuse does have a direct and indirect effect on the transplant numbers.
Mike
Vicodin is 5mg of codeine and 625 mg of tylenol-Norco is 10 mg of codeine and 325 mg of tylenol.  My doctor prescribes Norco so I can half it and get the lowest dose of tylenol and still the pain relieving effects of the Codeine.  
You are correct-Mucomist is used to reverse Tylenol overdose.  Welcome to the forum Franke566-oh, you are talking about prescribed Muco- aren't you-in a vial? to be taken internally? Not the over the counter- version, right?
IMHO the only reason people don't like the truth about some of our OTC drugs is because it's too horrifying to think we could have been so deceived.
BTW one of the 4 highlighted lectures for the ASSLD next year is a lecture on tylenol toxicity. Hmm....just cause studies are done independently and not by drug company giants doen't make them irrelevant, inconsequential or insignifigant? What a concept!

this reminds me of 2 things. 1. a loved one of mine almost died from tylenol,  it is like pulling teeth to convince them that the stuff had almost killed them...folks who take lots of this, or who take it with other drugs or booze are asking for liver failure IMHO.

2. acetominophen was discovered in the 1800's...it didn't become widely used until a drug company in the 50's coined the word tylenol and began a mass market campaign.
I read about this drug in the 60's and it horrified me then, and has horrified me more with every passing year. Advil and all NSAIDS horrified as well, as it causes internal bleeding by thinning the stomach wall with regular use.

here's the bottom line: did anyone read the story of Bayer recently? Where they mislead the FDA, did not reveal their anticoagulant was killing 1000 people per months, ignored and pled ignorance after 2 docs, an independant and their own Harvard selection reviewed thousands of cases and both concluded the drug was a killer?
who read those clips? The doc discovering this was one who wondered why so the mortality rate had shot up in his hospital...and 2000 case reviews later he knew it was the drug.
and yet we expect the drug companies to be honest and tell us when things are fatal?

news flash..the FDA is NOT required to know a drugs SAFETY, ONLY IT'S EFFICACY.
so whose hip pocket does that put them in really.

when all this Bayer "ignorance" was brought to the FDA's attention they deicided to take it up again with Bayer in the following year. (they found out about the hidden research one week after bayer's hearing on the drug. Yet deided to wait a year to talk to them
effectively killing, condemning an extra 22,000 heart patients if I'm remembering correctly to death based on the usage in our nations hopital.)

read it and weep....the drug is called trasyLOL but don't LOL on this one.

mb
I think the problem in the US is that paracetamol is not available alone. Tylenol is paracetamol and acetaminophen. Also other meds are cocktails containing one or the other. This is obviously dangerous, if one doesn't know about it.

In Europe i.e. we buy just the paracetamol and other meds are not mixed with paracetamol. So you cannot overdose. I personally think that this would be a good policy to adopt in the US. It would definitely take care of the problem.
You are so right on.  My heart doctor took me off baby aspirin about 6 mos ago.  He said Lipitor has serious Liver issues also. We are bombarded with pharmaceutical advertisements daily.  I wonder how many old guys are dying from that little blue pill? Pills to lose weight, pills to gain weight.  We want a fountain of youth, an extra boost of energy.  Want to get in shape?  Don't buy a Bowflex go out and climb a tree once a day.
Ahh, but thats not normal behavior for an adult.  Sit inside while someone else mows your lawn.  I don't see kids anymore.  Where are they?  When I was a kid we couldn't walk to where we were going-we ran.  Why? To get there faster.  Now thats considered hyperactivity-give em a pill. Slow them down, and if they get excited and talk too much give em a pill they are obviously ADD.  Sorry this really isn't the forum for my venting so I think I'll go out and climb a tree.  If you watch the news and see a man being darted and falling from a tree-thats me.
Mucomist as far as I know is only available in hospitals. I worked in ER's {psychiatric} and sent many a young student to the hospital because of intentional or accidental Tylenol OD. Many if not most survived with prompt treatment however some expired. Adolescents and young adults have poor impulse control and esp. young women who's boyfriends broke up with them or were caught cheating {no insult to females}. The accidental ones came via drinking products like Tyl. PM for the supposed buzz. Combine that with excessive ETOH intake and you have a disaster waiting to happen.
The sad thinh thing is the scam by the govts and big corpations has been going on for the last 100 years...ever since the federal resevre bank came into power...do you know the federal resvere bank is a privaltely owned bank...nthe govr doesnt have no owership...its just like saying fed -x couier is the ferdearl govt....the big banks own us
you dont even have to pay income tax....show me the written law  that says wo have too...it dont exsit..we are being robbed blind
the govt "borrows" cash from the top bankers and big corporations that print the money out of thin air...and loan it ou to you and you have to pay interest on fake cash
the federal reserve is a conterfiter
every red cent of income tax we pay out goes to pay off the govt debt...and line the pockets of the bankers,govts and big companies,,,we are actually modern slaves
I stand corrected.  I meant to say Mucomist used in Nebulizer by Rx only is the same medication used to treat Tylenol overdose-I was thinking of Fluticasone Propionate which is not Acetylcysteine.  It also requires a Rx though so I was wrong on both.  Arent you glad I wasn't treating you?  I'm better at fishing. I promise.
Fluticasone Propionate

Hey I think this is the stuff I use on the autimmune rash I got on tx.  Pretty sure but it's my other purse so I have to check (dont want to say pocket book cause I know that makes Marcia nutty ;)

Rocker - you cannot think or look at life this way or you will end up in a nuthouse. Some things we just have to deal with and move on because we cannot control them. You can only control your own life so much and the rest you have to put to faith and just let it go. There really is nothing more to be done because fat cats aren't going to give up all their mice right away in this lifetime.......so we might as well nibble at the cheese and be happy we have that. Seriously.
I know,there is not too much we can do to beat the system...i guess waht ive been posting,most of us  all ready know ...they say if you cant beat them,join them...well,i for one wont become a polititian...id rather be poor and happy than rich and worry all about my money and material stuff....all i want is for the greedy world to help the poor
No, Fluticasone Propionate is a nasal spray.  If it helps your rash please let me know because I'm  Ir-Rash-ional right now!

Rocker, you know life isn't fair.There are babies dying on their mothers breast right now-right this second one is dying. Now another. Now Another!  We all know this.  I ask myself every day why doesn't somebody do something?  The real question is why don't I do something?  Not give a few bucks to charity-go do it myself. I wonder....