Hepatitis C Community

Beginning treatment soon (Pegasys/Ribavirin)

Hello all!
I've only posted here one other time (when I originally found out about my hepatitis c, back in October 2014).
I'm back. I feel lucky that my doctor has been very aggressive in getting me approved for some type of treatment, even though I don't have damage to my liver yet. Just a week ago, they gave me the decision on which treatment I wanted. They told me that I could do the Pegasys/Ribavirin and be cured by July or to wait until August for when the new treatment is approved by my health insurance and be cured by October (by the way, I have genotype 2a). Me, being the type of person whom likes to take care of things immediately decided on the older treatment. I'm currently waiting on the call so they can FedEx me the medications. I've read through a lot of horror stories about this treatment and I decided to come back here and maybe get some stories from others that went through the same treatment. I chose this one because I'm sick of feeling like crap all of the time and I'm ready for my new life. Anybody here that has gone through this treatment, I'd LOVE to hear your story. How was the treatment? How did it affect you? I realize everybody reacts differently but I'd like to get a little bit of an idea and mentally prepare myself for what lies ahead of me.
Thank you so much.
Hi there, I did Sovaldi/Pegasys/Ribavirin last year and was successful. Why isn't your doctor putting you on a Solvadi treatment? I don't know the % of success or failure on the Tx that you are describing, but I would push for one that includes Sovaldi. My treatment was fairly uneventful, had the usual Sx, sensitivity to the sun, hair got brittle and fell out some (came by fine), tired but was able to work the whole time, my Ribavirin had to be adjusted as I became a bit anemic, and it was bothering my heart. But I knew that my odds for being successful were in my favor (I was genotype 4). Get your support system in place, be prepared to drink plenty of water. Let us know how we can support you.
hcvguidelines.org recommendations for health care professionals.
Excerpts (please go to the link for details)

Recommended regimen for treatment-naive patients with HCV genotype 2 infection.
Daily sofosbuvir and weight-based RBV  for 12 weeks
Extending treatment to 16 weeks is recommended in patients with cirrhosis.

The following regimens are NOT recommended for treatment-naive patients with HCV genotype 2. PEG-IFN and RBV for 24 weeks

AASLD/IDSA/IAS–USA. HCV testing and linkage to care. Recommendations for testing, managing, and treating hepatitis C.

http://www.hcvguidelines.org/full-report/initial-treatment-hcv-infection    accessed  February 1, 2015

Note:
When citing hcvguidelines.org please use date you accessed site(should be the same date as your post)
http://www.hcvguidelines.org/news/how-cite-and-permissions

Guidance for hepatitis C treatment is changing constantly and may be different at any time. It is a good idea to confirm revisit/refresh the linked page before commenting especially if it's after the date the webpage was last accessed.

the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) and American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD), in collaboration with the International Antiviral Society–USA (IAS–USA), have developed a web-based process for the rapid formulation and dissemination of evidence-based, expert-developed recommendations for hepatitis C management. The IAS–USA provides the structure and assistance to sustain the process that represents the work of leading authorities in hepatitis C prevention, diagnosis, and treatment in adults.

This Guidance should be considered a "living document" in that the Guidance will be updated frequently as new information and treatments become available. This continually evolving report provides guidance on FDA-approved regimens. At times, it may also recommend off-label use of certain drugs or tests or provide guidance for regimens not yet approved by FDA. Readers should consult prescribing information and other resources for further information. Of note, the choice of treatment may, in the future, be further guided by data from cost-effectiveness studies.
additional info to my prior post
AASLD/IDSA/IAS–USA is directed to USA medical practitioners.  

My opinion If you live in another country you and or medical provider may not yet have access to these new drugs.  I would guess for a doctor wanting to treat GT2 with INF/RBV now without damage to the liver, better have some other urgent valid reason.  I would get second opinion.
What's the rush? 2a's do Solavadi/Riba successfully.
I'd avoid Pegasus. It may cause further damage.
No damage means you can wait for a better tx. The virus can mutate from failed tx so it's better to wait than to go getting treated by ancient meds and run the risk it mutates and you don't SVR. Once you treat it may be more difficult  to SVR with another tx. Treatment naiive is best before tx.
Ask for Solavadi/Riba. That's da bomb.
Correction to typo: solvadi.
I was a genotype 2b and successfully cleared the virus after a 12 week course of Sovaldi/Ribavirin with basically no side effects at all. My advice is to get a second opinion and/or wait until you are able to access the new treatment. If you have little to no liver damage there is no rush. Interferon is nasty stuff!