Hepatitis C Community

Boceprevir in May

Just got back from my Gastro who said the Merck rep came in a few days ago and stated the Boceprevir will be released to the public in May. That's the good news...

The bad news: $60,000 for treatment (includes Ribavirin and Interferon)...

So, we who have Medicare have to keep our fingers crossed that they will approve payment for treatment. If not, we can always appeal. A doctor's appeal is best, but we can also appeal and send a double whammy to Medicare.

Good luck and keep your fingers crossed...

Magnum
What is the cost without Boceprevir?

Is that for 24 or 48 weeks?

It may not be that bad if it increases the chances of clearing, shortens the treat time, gets it done in one TX.

I'd guess that mean Vertex will be higher or comparable.

willy
Thanks for the information Magnum. Great news that boceprevir will be released in may and I assume telaprevir right around the same time or a few weeks later. Hopefully by next year many more of us will be svr.
I believe we were talking about 24 weeks if I clear within 14 days. If not, then we go for 46 weeks. He may want to add a few more weeks to either number for fear of mutations. This all remains to be seen, but for now, the release in May will get me, Susan, Hector and others excited, if they choose to go with Boceprevir.

Dr. Robert Gish, the renowned Hepatologist will give a speech along the lines of PI’s to the doctors here in Las Vegas (where Dr. Gish will start a new clinic in May). I will report as to what the doctor will be told regarding all of this...

Magnum
To be presented at the EASL this spring......

The HCV RESPOND-2 study in treatment-failure patients and the HCV SPRINT-2 study in previously untreated patients each evaluated two treatment strategies with VICTRELIS administered in combination with PEGINTRON and ribavirin to assess the ability to improve sustained virologic response (SVR) 1 and potentially shorten overall treatment duration compared to treatment with PEGINTRON and ribavirin alone:

• Response-guided therapy, in which treatment-failure patients with undetectable virus at week 8 were able to stop all treatment at 36 weeks.

looks like your looking at lease 36 weeks..... Still not bad though... Good luck
Should point out Boceprevir will now be called Victrelis
Heres the link for the EASL news.

http://hepatitiscresearchandnewsupdates.blogspot.com/2011/03/merck-announces-new-data-analyses-for.html