Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can I get Hepatitis C from getting a tattoo?

I got a tattoo in not the most sterile situation, the needle and grip was new and the guy wore gloves but it the workspace wasnt covered with plastic or the gun

do you think i can get any hepatitis from this?
5 Responses
Yes

2 Comments
yes i can get it from this?
Yes.  You can get Hepatitis C from a tatoo needle.
683231 tn?1467323017
Is the tattoo shop a US licensed facility? Do they have an autoclave to clean the tools and do they put the ink in a small container and throw away the excess or do they get the die directly from the container and use the same container on multiple customers?

If proper best safe practices are not performed the facility would lose their health license. If they are unlicensed and do not conform to best practices yes there is a risk.

If concerned wait 12 weeks and have a hepatitis c antibody test. If you test positive for antibodies a second test that tests for the hepatitis c virus in your blood stream to confirm if you are currently infected. This test is called HCV RNA by PCR.
1 Comments
Yes it's licensed, they have an autoclave and the ink container is small/plastic thing and everything is tossed out when they are done

the only thing that scared me is not having plastic on the table just a medical bib that would slide around and his glove would touch the table, but he says he cleaned the table off after every customer
683231 tn?1467323017
Well then I wouldn’t worry too much but if you want to be tested in 12 weeks nothing like peace of mind of this troubles you
10 Comments
so you think i shouldn't stress over this? Thank you very much flyin the first person scared the sh*t out of me tbh
If they are a licensed facility in the US following best practices I wouldn’t worry. When I’ve had tattoos they did have plastic over the gun but not on the table.

They just use paper at your doctors office.

The concern is having hepatitis c infected blood enter your blood stream so in the setting of a tattoo shop you would be worried about the needles being reused or the ink being used between costomers.
The first person to respond was accurate you can contract hep C from a tattoo needle. Just depends if they are following best practices or not
ok then my situations were the same as yours then and if u think i wont get diseases from that then i'll trust you that i'll be fine! thank you lynn! helped me so much
As long as they don’t reuse ink or needles without cleaning you are not at risk
saw the new needle and grip being put on, he grabbed new plastic ink containers and poured it from the bottle into it
Sounds good that is where the risk comes from. Double dipping into the ink containers transferring blood from one person to another or an unclean needle. Surfaces aren’t much of an issue
yeah the ink container was new, he didnt handle it with gloves when he brought over new ones though, does that matter? thank u!!
Do you think blood from a person infected with hepatitis c could have entered your blood stream in this manner? With him touching the outside of a new container when he had worn gloves with his previous client really seems like a huge streatch of the imagination to envision hep c infected blood entering your blood stream in this manner.

Highly doubtful in any event but if you have lingering concerns then have the hep c antibody test in 12 weeks then you will know if this event or anything else ever in your life previously exposed you to hep c
yeah, you're right, i'm probably fine.

And i've taken a Hep C test 3 years ago which was negative
683231 tn?1467323017
Well your probably ok then but if this troubles you you can get tested in 12 weeks for peace of mind good luck
683231 tn?1467323017
Don’t know why that double posted I didn’t see my first reply

Anyway good luck
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.