Chronic liver parenchymal disease

My 74 year old father was diagnosed with cholangitis, a growth had blocked his common bile duct, a stent was inserted and the jaundice started getting better, but a low grade fever continued. His blood culture report showed the presence of a resistant bacteria high dosage of injectible antibiotics were given, but the fever persisted. Then a bile culture was done and that too showed the presence of another bacteria... another round of extremely heavy antibiotics were given. As of now the fever is not there but he is extremely weak and is barely eating. He says he is overfull. Before his bile culture he also had mild ascites, fluid in his abdominal cavity which was tapped.
The onco reports have come as inconclusive, i.e. they are not sure if this growth is malignant or not. they conducted brush cytology as well as the ascitic fluid was sent for cytology. both reports say some atypical cells are seen but they could be due to the liver disease. The serum markers have come out to be normal.
The Ultrasound report says that the liver is uneven in texture, its not smooth. his bilirubin count had gone down to 4 but now is back at 7.

My major issue right now is the weakness he feels and his inability to eat. he is just having fluids.

I really don't know what to do. Can anybody help?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Hi so sorry to hear about your father.

We don’t really haveedical experts here.  You have posted in the hepatitis C community this is a community of people dealing with hepatitis C and it’s treatments we are all laypersons and patients.

My best suggestion is to keep working with his doctors and asking them your questions. It sounds like they are very proactive and working hard to help him.

Sending your family my best wishes.