A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.3k Members
29837 tn?1414538248

Coffee and Cirrhosis

I mentioned something about coffee and Cirrhosis in a thread earlier about smoking pot and its benefits. Here is an interesting test result that may help slow down the ravages of Cirrhosis with Hep Cpatients. It's worth asking your doctor. There's nothing to lose and it may be of benefit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13281392/

Magnum
12 Responses
To bad it won't help with hep-c

Ron                                
229344 tn?1189759437
imagine if it were for HCV how caffeined out we would be...hahaha. Its unfortunate it cant be that easy!!
not sure about that - I came away with a different interpretation. The original Klatsky article is here (with free access I believe):

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/166/11/1190

Their table 2 gives the results  summarized in that MSN article. Note that :
(1)  they didn't actually collect data on 1 cup/day but are extrapolating from the 5 categories they did measure (never, less than one, 1-3, 4-6, and more than 6 (!whoa Betsy!)
(2) in the  "some but less than one cup" group, the measured benefit (RR=0.7 or a 30% reduction in risk)  was the same observed for non-alcoholic cirrhosis. In neither group was this statistically significant at 95%, but may well have been at say 90% (my guess, but given the odds in this field I'm happy with 90%).
(3) they point out there is a demonstrated anti-HCC benefit in viral hepatitis regardlesss of its anti-cirrhotic benefit

"The inverse relation of coffee to hepatocellular carcinoma17-19 argues indirectly against specificity for alcohol-induced disease, especially because 2 of these reports18-19 are from Japan, where chronic viral disease plays a preponderant role in this malignancy.28"

so my take was that though coffee clearly doesn't  help reduce virally-induced fibrosis progression as much as alcohol-induced, there's pretty good evidence that it helps nevertheless on both the fibrosis and  hcc fronts.

Trouble is, if I drank more than 6 cups of coffee a day, I'd be dead in a week...
In the above post, I forgot to mention the same 30% reduction in risk was from comparing less than one cup a day among the alcohol-induced group vs more than 4 cups among the non-alcohol induced crowd. So if you're going that route, get the super-size at Starbucks. Also, (mercifully!!) it seems it may not be the caffeine that does the trick, but anti-oxidants:

"In an epidemiology study, Klatsky et al1 have convincingly demonstrated a dose-response inverse association between coffee drinking and alcoholic cirrhosis and to a lesser extent between coffee drinking and nonalcoholic cirrhosis. In a cross-sectional study, coffee consumption was also significantly related to a lower prevalence of transaminase enzymes (markers of liver damage), with a stronger association for those who drank large quantities of alcohol. Tea drinking was not related to cirrhosis, but the numbers of heavy tea drinkers were small in this population. The authors speculate that the active principle may be caffeine. We strongly support the hypothesis that it is the polyphenol antioxidant compounds in coffee that are the causative agents and that they may act in concert with caffeine, which is also hepatoprotective.2 Coffee has phenolic acids in high concentrations such that usual coffee consumption (2-3 cups/d) provides over 500 mg3 of these and other phenolic compounds. Although teas are high in polyphenols, they do not contain these phenolic acid compounds. In fact, we have found that coffee is the number 1 single source of phenolic antioxidants in the US diet.4 A phenolic acid found in coffee protected animals against liver damage induced by acetaminophen and carbon tetrachloride,5 and coffee intake decreased hepatotoxic effects from D-galactosamine.6 The mechanism of action of coffee's phenolic acids for liver protection is hypothesized as inhibiting the inflammatory transcription factor nuclear factor B, enhancing expression of phase 2 detoxifying enzymes and antioxidant enzymes, and improving insulin resistance.6 Further coffee research is certainly warranted, especially human intervention studies. "

from Vinson'06

Coffee and cirrhosis: active ingredients?
Arch Intern Med. 2006 Nov 27;166(21):2404-5; author reply 2405. No abstract available.
PMID: 17130396 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

also,a recent cross-study analysis indicates the anti-hcc benefit is not limited to Japanese studies:

Bravi'07 : Coffee drinking and hepatocellular carcinoma risk: A meta-analysis.
Hepatology. 2007 Jun 19; [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 17580359 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

"Conclusion: The present analysis provides evidence that the inverse relation between coffee and HCC is real, though inference on causality remains open to discussion."
According to my Dr. we should limit caffine intake because it is a diuretic ( depletes your body of fluids) and during Tx. it is imperative to stay well hydrated.
217229 tn?1192766004
"Trouble is, if I drank more than 6 cups of coffee a day, I'd be dead in a week... "

Trouble is with me... If I drank more than 2 cups a day ---- My family and friends would kill me...

I become hyperkinetic on coffee --- but fall asleep on amphetamines. LMAO!

ADHD strikes in the oddest ways at times.

217229 tn?1192766004
Soooo - wait -- what about decaf coffee?
I need at least 2 cups just to wake up. 6 cups a day is nothing. Wotz the point of decaf.
At least coffee might be good 4 me, unlike all my other vices.
CS
Death before decaf---
What is the point?
That said, I didn't start drinking coffee until my 40's (when I was selling it in Maui)--
My girlfriend at the time noted she would rather have me high on cocaine than espresso----
So, more than 2 cups really spins me--
217229 tn?1192766004
ROFLMAO --- me too hightrekker... Me too...
163322 tn?1458680008
You are my coffee,
My only coffee,
You make me happy,
When skies are gray
You'll never tho'
How much I need/want/love you(!)
Please don't take...my coffeee...away.........

Wooohoooo-------yeah!!!!!!!  LOVE that stuff!  And my home-grown is sooooo good!  I roasted another batch today so that's all I can smell at the moment.
217229 tn?1192766004
Egads - that song is now strumming through my head... I love Kona Coffee....

Ooooh yeah...

Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.