Hepatitis C Community

Cost of Pegasys and Ribavirin

Hello everyone, I saw my nurse practitioner last week and will begin treatment next week.  She wrote me a my first prescription for a one month supply of Pegasys (peginterferon alfa-2a) and another for a one month supply of Rebetol (ribavirin).

This question regards the cost of these meds.  Please let me know if the amounts I paid are in line with what y'all are paying.

I filled the prescriptions at the pharmacy of the University Hospital here in Seattle.  My experience is that they generally have the best prices on meds in the area.  However, these numbers seem kinda high compared to what I have heard from others.

The Pegasysprescription was filled with 4 - 180 mcg doses.  The cost was $1,206.

The Rebetol was filled with 120 - 200 mg capsules.  I am to take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.  The cost was $1,117.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide!

Happy Holidays everyone!
I completed 48 wks in Sept 2004.  I as on Pegintron and 800 mg Rebetol/Ribaviran.  My Peg cost (via Ins) was $1319 monthly and my Rebetol was $1052.  The last 3-4 months I took the generic Ribaviran (in lieu of Rebetol) which was only $695 monthly.  You may want to check into the generic.  It has only been approved & on the market since last summer or I probably would have been on it the entire tx.

Good luck with your tx.
I gather you do not have inaurance that pays for the meds?
I glanced at the price charged to my insurance by the pharmacy and it said about 4,000 for pegasys and about the same for copegus, for a 3 month supply.  Maybe there is an online store that charges less?
Thank you all for your help.  I guess my med prices are not out of line.  Also, I did not know about the availability of a generic version of ribavirin, which is significantly less expensive than the branded version.  That information alone will save me about $500 a month.  Thanks very much for the heads up!
I get mine through Prescription Solution.  My cost for the Pegasys was $5.60 and $2.30 for the ribovin
You indicated that you get Pegasys for $5.60 through perscription solution.  Was that a typo.  I'm finding $560.00 on line.  Is tha Perscriptionsolutions.com?
My Pegasys and Ribavirin are approx $2,500 a month.  I pay a co-pay of $5.00 for the riba and $10 for the Peg each month.