Hepatitis C Community

Damage FROM liver biospy

Hi Folks,  I think I'm in the wrong place but I have looked all over the web and cannot find an answer to my question and thought you could help.  So please forgive me if I'm intruding.

I had a spot on my liver and the biopsy showed it was negative.  No problem there.  My question is this - How common is it for a lung to be punctured and a rib (or ribs) to be hit by the needle, 4 times during the biopsy?  The biopsy was done last Wednesday and I had heavy to severe pain until Sunday. It was in my right shoulder and down my right arm. (No pain at all at the needle site.) Apparently the lung healed up well so I am assuming this was from the ribs but have no real clue. The biopsy was done in conjunction with a CT scan.

I was told I should not have had that much pain that long.  (Should I apologize to some medical entity? lol). No doubt the question is awkardly phrased but I don't know how else to ask.  May I have your thoughts and experience if I have not stumbled into the wrong place?

Thanks, Linda
Didn't they use ultra-sound to guide the needle during the biopsy?  Sounds awful strange to me that they punctured lungs and ribs trying to do a biopsy.

Most pain I've heard of associated with a biopsy seemed to be related to some internal bleeding which may have occurred at the biopsy site.  I've never heard of them simply poking needles in and puncturing other organs and body parts trying to extract liver samples.
I'm with grand oaks on this, also sounds like Dr didn't know what he/she was doing.  Your right, you should not have had pain like that after a BX.  Hope you feel better soon and i would talk to your main Dr about this.

Beagle
My sis in law had her lung punctured too and she was sent home. She shouldnt have been, but she was.  On top of that she kept going back and they kept telling her she was fine and not in pain and treating her like she was faking her pain. It ws a nightmare. Doctors can be real jerks whe they make a mistake. She luckily got out of there, got to a good doctor and got the care she needed but she almost didnt make it.
sorry about that mutiple post, not sure what happened!
Maybe I shouldn't have read these posts because I need a new bx.

Sounds like the doctor just got out of medical school and had never done it before and you were his first patient. I'm very sorry about your experience and pain. I hope you are improving now.