Hepatitis C Community

Depression

Sorry for two posts today I should have included this in my original post but how much of a role does depression play in your individual treatment? I would like to hear some people's opinion on how severe it is. I know it's sometimes a case by case basis but I was just interested in hearing from those of you that have or haven't encountered this problem while in treatment. I want to hear from both sides. Five years ago when I went to the doctor they told me as a precautionary measure that I should start taking something for depression before I started Tx. My problem is that I'm supposed to maybe start treatment after the 11th of Oct and I know a lot of depression meds take 4 to 6 weeks to start working. Once again any advice and or perspective on this would be greatly appreciated.
That's a hot potato! If you do a search in the archives for depression during treatment, you'll see.

I represent the less is more view only because I've always been leery of taking medications, so I suffer even when help is at hand via pills. You know your history and philosophy best and also know your personal thresholds and those of your fiancee. (Didn't you once post you're engaged?)

My doctor, who's aware of the risk for depression during treatment,  insisted on interviewing my husband beforehand to see if he could handle the long haul. In the end, we agreed we'd go without the AD's. Perhaps we'd be better off with the meds, perhaps not. Perhaps taking them could have backfired and made the situation worse.

Even my husband acknowledges that depression doesn't seem to be one of my reactions to the meds. So what purpose would it have served to pre-dose for depression if I now don't have it? AD's do take a long time to kick in but why pre-dose if you don't have a strong predictor that you will suffer from it?

I do have anger that is definitely treatment-related. It's made me more assertive and rude. Occasionally, I lash out at my husband without any real provocation but he's determined to put it into perspective and not take it personally. In his view, the fewer meds I take, the better, so he takes the heat from my outbursts in the interest of my succeeding in tx, weighing the risks with the rewards and without adding more meds than necessary.
Each person is different.

I didn't have any depression - but I did get "blue" or emotional a lot --- and I did have massive panic attacks.

For me --- Lorazepam and Xanax were fast acting - and as a NEEDED only basis - instead of a long term thing....

I can't take serotonin reuptake stuff... Makes my world tilt! LOL!

Meki
On my first tx depression and suicidal ideation were my worst sx.  I had no idea that was going to happen and so I decided against taking the Anti-Ds as a precautionary measure.  Within 4 weeks of my treatment I was i a total mess and my friends and NP convinced me to start on the ADs, they were a godsend for me.

I was a nonresponder to that first tx and I never came off the ADs so when I started my 2nd tx I was already on them.  This time it took 6 weeks for my serotonin levels to drop and once I realized where I was heading I had no hesitation in upping my dose (with prior consultation with my Doc, of course).  

Since then I have been pretty bouyant, keeping a nice even keel.  I still have moments of feeling like I'm going to cry but they pass quickly and are generally confined to the first few days after my shot.

So, I am one of those that is pro the anti-d's.  I see no point in suffering needlessly. And I haven't noticed any medals being given out for toughing it out!!
Ooh, I forgot to mention; my ADs kicked in within about 4 days when I first started them on tx1 so it's possible that you could see how you went, knowing that you could take them if you wish and that they may not take as long as you think to work.  It all depends on how low your serotonin levels are when you decide to take them...  
No ad's -  wk 28.  I'm so fatigued all the time I can't tell whether it's depression of just bone tired.  I've adopted a cavalier attitude at work so people don't bother me anymore.
Can't take ad's anyway, tried several times over the years and the negatives outweighed the positives in my case.  Even if I could tolerate them, I would not take them prior to tx just of avoid the possibility of becoming depressed unless I had a history of depression.  I could of stocked up on all kinds of lotions for rash, or rinses for mouth sores but I've never had those side effects.  I'm not a big pill person, so unless it makes sense for the here and now, I just can't see the justification of pre-dosing.  Many people benefit from them and that's what it's all about -  what works best for you.
Good Luck
Trinity
Thanks for your respones. For those of you with geno type one you are my hero's I don't even want to endure treatment for twenty four weeks I couldn't even imagine having to do it for 72 weeks.