Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Diabetes

Can a person develop diabetes after taking Hep C treatment drugs?
20 Responses
686869 tn?1227203535
I can only say what happened to my family member who never had diabetes.
After or during treatment he developed what they called medically induced diabetes but he was also HIV positive and on meds.....GOD BLESS!!......Dan
I think diabetes is one of the worse, diseases out there,     I am not sure how much HCV has to do with it,  Normally it is genetics, weight and nutrion have a lot to do with it,

There is a Nurse that comes through here name CoWriter, she has a lot of knowledge concerning both Diabetes and HCV. Keep an eye out for her!
476246 tn?1418874514
Welcome to the forum.

When my hepatologist briefed me about starting treatment one of the things she explained to me was that the most common possible permanent side effects from treatment are diabetes and thyroid problems.

So yes, a person can develop diabetes from Hep C treatment.

Marcia
J Hepatol. 2008 Nov;49(5):831-844. Epub 2008 Aug 21.Click here to read Links
    Hepatitis C infection and risk of diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
    White DL, Ratziu V, El-Serag HB.

Sections of Gastroenterology and Hepatology and Health Services Research, Baylor College of Medicine, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA; Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies and Section of Gastroenterology, Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA.

BACKGROUND/AIMS: Several studies found hepatitis C (HCV) increases risk of Type II diabetes mellitus (DM). However, others found no or only sub-group specific excess risk. We performed meta-analyses to examine whether HCV infection does increase DM risk in comparison to the general population and in other sub-groups with increased liver disease rates including with hepatitis B (HBV). METHODS: We followed standard guidelines for performance of meta-analyses. Two independent investigators identified eligible studies through structured keyword searches in relevant databases including PubMed. RESULTS: We identified 34 eligible studies. Pooled estimators indicated significant DM risk in HCV-infected cases in comparison to non-infected controls in both retrospective (OR(adjusted)=1.68, 95% CI 1.15-2.20) and prospective studies (HR(adjusted)=1.67, 95% CI 1.28-2.06). Excess risk was also observed in comparison to HBV-infected controls (OR(adjusted)=1.80, 95% CI 1.20-1.40) with suggestive excess observed in HCV+/HIV+ cases in comparison to HIV+ controls (OR(unadjusted)=1.82, 95% CI 1.27-2.38). CONCLUSIONS: Our finding of excess DM risk with HCV infection in comparison to non-infected controls is strengthened by consistency of results from both prospective and retrospective studies. The excess risk observed in comparison to HBV-infected controls suggests a potential direct viral role in promoting DM risk, but this needs to be further examined.

PMID: 18814931 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher
Yes, unfortunately that can happen. As Dr. Dietrich in our "Expert" forum has staged, interferon while ironically sometimes curing some autoimmune disorders (see Mike's study above) can also bring some out of the closet so to speak. Autoimmune diabetes and metabolic syndrome would fall into this category, and a flaring of the metabolic syndome post treatment was specifically mentioned by my treatment doctor. Another autoimmune disorder that has flared with myself (and others) post treatment is the skin condition called rosacea.

-- Jim
thanks Mike!  you ARE THE MAN!, One is the hardest to deal with, I know pregnant woman can get gestational type 2,  

So then Mike would 2 mean nutrition is  and weight can still control it? There is a huge difference between one and two.. So if I am reading this right, HBV is more  the key?
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.