Hepatitis C Community

Does Hep C treatment cause diabetes?

Does anyone know where I can get information about diabetes onset with Hep C treatment?  My husband has been on PEG-Intron for 13 weeks with excellent results.  Two weeks ago I rushed him to the hospital violently ill.  His blood sugar was 500 and he had diabetic ketoacidocis.  Last week the same thing happened only he went into diabetic shock.  He was just released yesterday.  There is absolutely NO diabetes in his family ANYWHERE.  He is 53 and now on 4 shots a day of insulin.  None of the myriad of Dr's he has seen have any idea what is going on.  Their words are; baffled, mystified, cunundrum, etc.  Well SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE must know something!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How come these doctors didn't know that interferon can cause glucose spikes? ( I know of one other person who has presented with diabetes after only 2 or 3 weeks of shots.)  Conversely, insulin resistance (fairly common in HCV patients) can impair rseponse to IFN and riba, so you definitely want to get this one under control.

See <a href=http://www.natap.org/2005/HCV/033005__01.htm>Insulin Resistance Impairs Response to IFN/RBV</a>

And here's a quote from the Projects in Knowledge/Education Initiative in Gastroenterology "Care and Counsel II Side Effects Management Handbook"  (posted on the web):

"Acute treatment with interferon alfa results in an increase in counter-regulatory hormones as well as a hypermetabolic response, leading to insulin resistance.  These effects are dose dependent and decrease over time."
here is a site to get started...please keep in mind that the "hepc" is a cause for diabeties...not just the treatment!

http://search.juno.com/search?r=search&source=client&query=HEPATITIS+C+A+DIRECT+CAUSE+OF+DIABETES
this is a good one:

http://www.hepcassoc.org/news/article85.html
here's cuteus article again...the above link didn't work for me...

http://www.natap.org/2005/HCV/033005_01.htm
calif sorry...(not cuteus)

hey though that article is just saying that interferon doesn't work as well with diabeties...i'm wondering if there is a better article to support the idea that the tx actually causes the diabeties...cause i know the hep c does just by itself...
It says both things, makes a dual argument:

"Interferon induces insulin resistance . . .  induces a decrease in glucose uptake by peripheral tissue and the liver.  However, this effect disappears when analyzed after 3 months of treatment...."  

"interferons have been reported to impair glucose tolerance"

etc.

The assumption that interferon can have this effect is embedded throughout the article, but you're right, it's not the main thesis.  The information is treated as a "given."   So what's up with the baffled doctors then?