Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Does Hep C treatment cause diabetes?

Does anyone know where I can get information about diabetes onset with Hep C treatment?  My husband has been on PEG-Intron for 13 weeks with excellent results.  Two weeks ago I rushed him to the hospital violently ill.  His blood sugar was 500 and he had diabetic ketoacidocis.  Last week the same thing happened only he went into diabetic shock.  He was just released yesterday.  There is absolutely NO diabetes in his family ANYWHERE.  He is 53 and now on 4 shots a day of insulin.  None of the myriad of Dr's he has seen have any idea what is going on.  Their words are; baffled, mystified, cunundrum, etc.  Well SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE must know something!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
18 Responses
How come these doctors didn't know that interferon can cause glucose spikes? ( I know of one other person who has presented with diabetes after only 2 or 3 weeks of shots.)  Conversely, insulin resistance (fairly common in HCV patients) can impair rseponse to IFN and riba, so you definitely want to get this one under control.

See <a href=http://www.natap.org/2005/HCV/033005__01.htm>Insulin Resistance Impairs Response to IFN/RBV</a>

And here's a quote from the Projects in Knowledge/Education Initiative in Gastroenterology "Care and Counsel II Side Effects Management Handbook"  (posted on the web):

"Acute treatment with interferon alfa results in an increase in counter-regulatory hormones as well as a hypermetabolic response, leading to insulin resistance.  These effects are dose dependent and decrease over time."
here is a site to get started...please keep in mind that the "hepc" is a cause for diabeties...not just the treatment!

http://search.juno.com/search?r=search&source=client&query=HEPATITIS+C+A+DIRECT+CAUSE+OF+DIABETES
this is a good one:

http://www.hepcassoc.org/news/article85.html
here's cuteus article again...the above link didn't work for me...

http://www.natap.org/2005/HCV/033005_01.htm
calif sorry...(not cuteus)

hey though that article is just saying that interferon doesn't work as well with diabeties...i'm wondering if there is a better article to support the idea that the tx actually causes the diabeties...cause i know the hep c does just by itself...
It says both things, makes a dual argument:

"Interferon induces insulin resistance . . .  induces a decrease in glucose uptake by peripheral tissue and the liver.  However, this effect disappears when analyzed after 3 months of treatment...."  

"interferons have been reported to impair glucose tolerance"

etc.

The assumption that interferon can have this effect is embedded throughout the article, but you're right, it's not the main thesis.  The information is treated as a "given."   So what's up with the baffled doctors then?
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.