Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Does the Ribavirin have to be taken 12 hours apart?

Can I take the pm dose slightly earlier (11 1/2 hours)
I take the am dose at 7am and the pm dose at 6:30pm to give myself the best chance of sleeping through the night.
I read on here that it can keep you awake.
tia
5 Responses
  That should be fine.  The Ribaviran is different than the Protease Inhibitors, which are Inivek and Victrelis. They need to be taken exactly every 8 hrs, to avoid a person developing a resistance to them.
  But Ribaviran last a long time in our systems, so as long as you take it around the same time daily, it should make no difference.
   The main reason we dont take them all at once, is to avoid stomach upset. I took my Ribaviran 3 times a day, 2 pills along with my 4 pills of Victrelis, every 8 hrs.  I never had a problem sleeping on the night dose, which I took at 11 pm. I popped them and went right to sleep. Everybody is different though.
3093770 tn?1389742726
It is suggested that morning dose it is taken with the Telaprevir dose and the evening one the same

Keep in mind that you still need quite a reasonable meal for the Riba as well and I very much doubt that right now you can fill another two meals in the schedule

It did not make any difference with my sleep really, in fact I think I had a better sleep than before!!
Ribavirin can be taken much earlier then 12 hours apart. Since one needs to take it twice daily thats why the 12 hours is used, that and for some people taking it to close can upset ones stomach. Unlike Incivek or Victrelis which needs to be taken pretty much at the 8 hours time frame Ribavirin has a very long half life... I always took mine between 6 and 8 hours apart, My Doctor was fine with that...........
Good point - my appetite is returning but best not to push it.
The good thing would be that I sleep through its side effects.
You guys are awesome. :-D
446474 tn?1446351282
You're fine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.drugs.com/pro/ribavirin.html#i4i_section_id_923103dc-10fb-4562-8cc1-fe0c59767db3

How should I take Ribavirin tablets?

Take Ribavirin tablets exactly as your healthcare provider tells you. Your healthcare provider will tell you how many Ribavirin tablets to take and when to take it.

Take Ribavirin tablets with food.

If you miss a dose of Ribavirin tablets, take the missed dose as soon as possible during the same day. You should skip a dose if more than 6 hours have passed since it was due to be taken. Do not double the next dose. If you have questions about what to do, call your healthcare provider.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pharmacokinetics

Multiple dose Ribavirin pharmacokinetic data are available for HCV patients who received Ribavirin in combination with peginterferon alfa-2a. Following administration of 1200 mg/day with food for 12 weeks mean ± SD (n = 39; body weight > 75 kg) AUC0-12hr was 25,361 ± 7110 ng•hr/mL and Cmax was 2748 ± 818 ng/mL. The average time to reach Cmax was 2 hours. Trough Ribavirin plasma concentrations following 12 weeks of dosing with food were 1662 ± 545 ng/mL in HCV infected patients who received 800 mg/day (n = 89), and 2112 ± 810 ng/mL in patients who received 1200 mg/day (n = 75; body weight > 75 kg).

The terminal half-life of Ribavirin following administration of a single oral dose of Ribavirin is about 120 to 170 hours. The total apparent clearance following administration of a single oral dose of Ribavirin is about 26 L/h. There is extensive accumulation of Ribavirin after multiple dosing (twice daily) such that the Cmax at steady state was four-fold higher than that of a single dose.

Effect of Food on Absorption of Ribavirin

Bioavailability of a single oral dose of Ribavirin was increased by coadministration with a high-fat meal. The absorption was slowed (Tmax was doubled) and the AUC0-192h and Cmax increased by 42% and 66%, respectively, when Ribavirin was taken with a high-fat meal compared with fasting conditions.

Good luck with treatment.
Hector
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.