Hepatitis C Community

EASL 2007 Abstracts -- Type II Diabetes and Treatment

Data for the VX-950 presentation everyone is waiting doesn't look like it will be released until Sunday afternoon. Other abstracts are available on the EASL site. I'll try posting some I think relevant, but the more help the merrier, so please search and post whatever you seem interesting.

First abstract that caught my attention shows the relationship between treatment and Type II Diabetes. When I saw my liver specialist after treatment, he warned me that the treatment drugs could cause a worsening of the metabolic syndrome, including type 2 diabetes. I've posted previous studies on this before, but here is the 2007 EASL abstract. Folks, SOC treatment can save lives, but it isn't without a cost and therefore one should really ask the question -- of self and doctors -- do I really need to treat now?

The conclusion of abstract reads:

"Conclusions: This study revealed that the current treatment for HCV with Peginterferon and Ribavirin is associated with an increased risk to develop T2DM. The underlined mechanism is not clear."

Cont...
THERAPY OF CHRONIC HEPATITIS C WITH INTERFERON AND RIBAVIRIN
Sorry, forgot to post link to EASL 2007 Search page:

http://www.easl.ch/liver-meeting/Program/search.asp
I can't seem to link the page, but if you to to the search engine in the link, mentioned (http://www.easl.ch/liver-meeting/Program/search.asp) and insert "Hepatitis" in the "text search" box and then check
"Abstract Title" , then "search", you will get 248 abstract title links.

-- Jim
Great post.  Thanks.  After this study I would think anyone with either hep-c caused Diabetes or Diabetes from natural causes should avoid Tx at all costs.  I mean really if treatment can cause Diabetes just think what the affect would be with someone who already has it.

Ron
CANNABIS USE AS AN INDEPENDENT PREDICTOR OF SEVERE STEATOSIS DURING CHRONIC HEPATITIS C

C. Hezode 1,2, E.S. Zafrani 3, F. Roudot-Thoraval 2,4, C. Costentin 1, A. Hessami 3, J.M. Pawlotsky 2,5, S. Lotersztajn 6, A. Mallat 1,6
1 Department Of Hepatology, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France; 2 INSERM U635, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France; 3 Department Of Patology, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France; 4 Department Of Public Health, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France; 5 Department Of Virology, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France; 6 INSERM U581, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France

We recently found a significant relationship between daily cannabis use and fibrosis severity in chronic hepatitis C (CHC). Cannabis Sativa binds two receptors, CB1 and CB2, and recent experimental data suggest that activation of CB1 receptors increases steatogenesis (Osei-Hyiaman et al, J Clin Invest 2005). The aim of the present study was therefore to evaluate the impact of cannabis use on steatosis severity during CHC.
311 consecutive na
Don't know if I'd go that far, but definitely something to take into serious consideration, esp if you don't have significant liver damage.

-- Jim