Hepatitis C Community

EASL 2013 International Liver Congress in Amsterdam

Hi All,

Here are some key pieces of information presented at the EASL 2013 International Liver Congress in Amsterdam these past few days:

Gilead: reported results of four phase 3 trials, Neutrino, Fission, Positron, and Fusion.  Neutrino: g 1, 4, 5, 6, treatment naive, sofosbuvir + RBV + Peg-IFN for 12 wks, 90% SVR12; Fission:  g 2/3, treatment naive, sofosbuvir + RBV for 12 wks (67% SVR12) or Peg-IFN + RBV for 24 wks (67% SVR12); Positron: G 2/3, IFN intolerant, ineligible, or unwilling:  sofosbuvir + RBV for 12 wks (78% SVR 12) or sofosbuvir + RBV for 12 wks (50% SVR12); Fusion g2/3 treatment-exp:  sofosbuvir + RBV for 16 wks (73% SVR12).

Boehringer Ingelheim: reported results from one phase 3 trial, STARTVerso:  g 1, treatment naive, faldaprevir + INF (80% SVR12).

Janssen R & D Ireland:  reported results of two phase 3 trials, Quest 1 and Quest 2:  g 1 & 2, treatment naive, simeprevir, CC=94% SVR12, CT=76% SVR12, TT=65% SVR12.

AbbVie:  reported results of phase 2 trial.  12 wk regimen of 3 trial drugs combined with RBV (90% SVR12).

I will post some articles on my journals.

Advocate1955
Thanks for posting Advocate...I am headed to your journals

Jules
Thanks Advocate, just a quick glance but this did jump out.

"Patient response rates to hepatitis C therapy can be variable, depending on factors such as viral genotype and subtype, and liver fibrosis. Patients with genotype 1a, IL28B genotype TT and METAVIR scores of F3 and F4 can be particularly challenging to cure," said Maria Beumont, M.D., medical leader for simeprevir, Janssen. "Janssen is committed to advancing hepatitis C therapy for even the most difficult-to-cure patients."
--------------------
Mainly this comment......  and METAVIR scores of F3 and F4 can be particularly challenging to cure
Yes, the news for treatment experienced, g1s, with advanced liver disease is yet to be seen.
Advocate1955
Thanks for posting that. I am headed to your journals too.
"Patient response rates to hepatitis C therapy can be variable, depending on factors such as viral genotype and subtype, and liver fibrosis"

**************
This quote that Cando posted above is so vague and generalized. "variable" can have so many definitions.  And I am sure there are many additional factors to take into consideration besides the obvious in what was quoted in the statement.  Several members have pre-existing conditions and additional dx besides Hep C.  As Ad said "experienced G1's w/ advanced liver disease is yet to be seen.....This tx could be a long wait.  

I have to say I don't understand why some people F2-3 (maybe could be more of an F3 who really knows) are not treating now.JMHO
I agree. No one knows how long before transition from one stage to another and it will still be awhile for new treatments for cirrhotics.
advocate1955
I am just not excited about these results for genotype 2 and 3 treatment naives, theres been so much hype here and for what, these results?

"Fission:  g 2/3, treatment naive, sofosbuvir + RBV for 12 wks (67% SVR12) or Peg-IFN + RBV for 24 wks (67% SVR12); Positron: G 2/3, IFN intolerant, ineligible, or unwilling:  sofosbuvir + RBV for 12 wks (78% SVR 12) or sofosbuvir + RBV for 12 wks (50% SVR12); Fusion g2/3 treatment-exp:  sofosbuvir + RBV for 16 wks (73% SVR12)."
I agree Cando.  I would not gamble on those %'s.  And I really don't like the tx duration.  Maybe if they doubled the length of tx for each trial the %'s may improve....just a thought
I agree with everyone above. While we would all like to see and we hope to see new and easier treatments soon, for some people, waiting for them may cost them their health and/or their lives. I guess that's why all of us took the plunge and treated when we did.
Definitely doesn't live up to the hype IMO, 90% for G1 naive's in 12 weeks is pretty good but still got the good old inf/riba though  
And yes I am glad I jumped in to tri tx with both feet and SVR'd at late stage 3
            i was talking with a friend who is being seen at mayo, and i have kaiser.  both facilities have stopped using incivek, and vic.  i have not checked this out yet but she said both inc/vic have black box warnings on them.  

the new geno 1 tx will not help many, and geno 3 should have interferon(my opinion only).  not very impressive.  its time to stop paying rent on that warehouse. haha
                                                       barry