Hepatitis C Community

Energy and weight loss suggestions for heppers...got any?

Hi everyone.  I have been to this board a lot of times and dont feel so alone because its here.  :)  Thanks to all yall.  I am wonsering if any one has any suggestions on how to gain more energy.  perhaps in way of diet...I have tried the high protein and feel so exhausted I literally have to go to bed for like 2 days and just sleep.  Have finally figured out that Its not for me probably.  I am a bit over weight and have no energy.  I am hoping to find some good eating habits for hepatitis people and some energy gaining diet tips.  I just figure if there is less of me...It wont take so much energy to just be.  Also.  What about liver cleanse.  I am just tired of being tired.  God bless you all and thanks.
Eating healthy is always good but light exercise is also very helpful. It's hard to get started but I always feel better after. Even walks can be very helpful for your energy levels. Sorry to hear your feeling so tired. LL
I agree this board is a great way to share what's happening to us through this disease.  Here's my 2 cents on the connection between diet and health for me.  From what I understand, the liver is heavily involved in protein regulation.  Protein breaks down into ammonia and high ammonia levels may contribute to brain fog.  Ten or fifteen years ago, I did a low fat diet for a while.  My energy level was very high.  I was also exercising a lot and had little responsibilities.  Six years ago, I tried a high fat/protein diet.  I felt pretty sluggish and looking back, I made some bad decisions so I probably wasn't thinking clearly, I also started getting pains in my liver/gall bladder.  I'm trying to go back to the low fat approach but it's a lot harder now because of life circumstances.  I think the low fat approach was definitely a "healthier life style" for me.
I get some light exercise now in the form of walking 3-4 times weekly; used to be an avid bike rider but don't have that much energy now, plus the weather where I am is not very conducive for outside activities right now.  I also eat (and have for the past lots of years) to the Weight Watchers plan which is simply eating all your food groups in the food pyramid.  Although you need protein, too much protein in hard on the liver; complex carbs are good.  Try to stay away from the simple carbs and sweets.  And, above all, drink the water.  If you are not drinking enough water, that will also contribute to your tiredness as well as to headaches.

I also starting taking 800 IU's of Vitamin E a couple weeks or so ago along with the multivitamin I was already taking (on advice from my GI PA).  Don't know if this has done it but for the last couple weeks I have felt more energetic and better than I did the first few weeks of tx.  I no longer seem to need to eat every couple hours to keep my strength up; I'm back on my regular schedule of 3 good meals a day along with a couple snacks (fruit, 1/2 bagel, etc)throughout the day.

Hope this helps some.  Just stay away from quick weight loss programs.......eat healthy using the guidelines of the food pyramid and drink the water.

Good luck to you.
Help me here please. I don't assocaite high fat with protein. I eat all the protein I want but keep my fats quit low. I love meat including red but there are many low fat options, poultry fish and lowfat red meats such at loins which are good for you. I'm not following you here. I've seen this written before. Is this a particular diet? Just curious.  LL
I agree with the exercise.  Even when you feel like it's too hard to get up and do you still need to push yourself some, it does help.
When I was on tx last yr I took my regular vitamins and added Q10, parselenium E and didn't feel to tired most of the time.  Although since I've been off tx (4 months now) I realized how much more tired I really was.
Now with my new Dr , he gave me a list of stuff he wants me to take when I start tx again in Jan.  Folic Acid 4mg per day, amino fuel (liquid form), and Sam-E.  He said all of these would help reduce the side effects.  Has anyone tried them???  I let you know in Jan if they help.
Eating healthy is just the best thing to do anytime, but I craved sweets, especially chocolate when I was on tx and now I can't quit eating junk.  Lots of fruits and veg are good.
Best of luck to you,
Linda
I agree with layla and the rest, exercise is very good. Just going for a walk even helps. sometimes it is tough to drag your bod out but I am sure you will be glad you did. If you live where it is cold, go to a mall! plenty to see and lots of people watching to do. Good luck!