Energy loss How to boost

I was wondering if there is anything I can eat or drink to boost my energy level? Im so tired all of the time and becoming inactive?All I want to do lately is"NAP".
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Cindy,

I realize this might sound counterintuitive, but mild to moderate exercise is supposed to increase energy levels better than most drugs or supplements. It didn’t do much for me; before treatment, I was dragging butt, and I had a very active lifestyle as a carpenter. I remember having to take naps by eleven am some mornings, and I was far from sedentary those days.

For what it’s worth, after I treated, I got most of my energy back; less the few years older I was when I was done :o).

I suppose you could discuss Provigil (modafinil) with your doctor if you’re having problems staying awake for work; this has been used with varying degrees of success with other HCV patients in here. It’s supposed to increase focus and alertness, without involving the use of amphetamines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

Good luck with your upcoming treatment, and take care—

Bill
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry cindy but hopefully it will level out.  I had the same problem all throughout treatment (but I did have pretty bad anemia the whole time).  Have you checked your hemoglobin lately?

It's the most common of all problems on treatment........which is why I made every Saturday (day after shot day) my 'day of rest' where i could just lay in bed with my remote control and some cookies and fudgicles and nap in and out and not feel the slightest bit guilty.  It became like a reward for me for getting through the week.

it was fun while it lasted!  :)
Helpful - 0
Not to be pessimistic, but this was my personal experience. The more I tried to be active, the more it knocked me out.

So try what you can, but be mentally prepared that it might not help.

Have you checked you Vitamin D levels? They play a big part in well being and health. There are some threads here about vitamin d. Have your doctor check the levels!

All the best, Marcia
Helpful - 0
Personally, I cannot underestimate the importance of drinking A LOT of WATER and taking everyday walks - FRESH AIR does miracles. I noticed that when I am slacking away from drinking enough water or miss my walk, I simply shut down and feel completely out of energy. Perhaps, if I could afford to keep laying on the couch, I would do that, but I definitely would feel much more miserable then. Instead, my super active 2 year old twins actually help me stay in shape, even when my hemoglobin drops down to 8.0. No matter how tired I feel in the morning, I get out of bed and MAKE myself drink a glass of water, and then I keep drinking water every hour - it gives me energy, it's my fuel.
At the beginning of the treatment I was not sure if I would be capable even to take my kids to the park by myself, so we hired a nanny first and I stayed home. And then I realized it was a mistake, as I was the one needing those walks. The main idea - no rushing, avoid stress, don't push yourself. But it doesn't mean staying in bed. It means drink water and take walks, breath fresh air. This is my recepie for successfully surviving daily infergen and riba. Maybe it could help you, too?
Helpful - 0
I’m not sure, but I don’t think Cindy has started treatment yet; I believe she’s currently waiting for insurance, etc? Of course, she can use all this info directed towards her in the future.

Bill
Helpful - 0
No I havent started tx as of yet.Probably sometime in june.Its just that im so incredibly tired all of the time.I usually plant a garden this time of the year and havent even got the energy to do that.And this is a hobby that i have.I will be having a biopsy on Tuesday and go from there.You people are incredible!!!!Im soooo glad I found you!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
I have not started tx yet and the tired feeling just started for me in Nov. I am so active and keep active but by early afternoon I am done. This is what is making me look @ tx. I meet with Doctor April 29.  Water helps.
Helpful - 0
I use organic chocolate whey powder and organic eggs with good powered greens drink and a tblespoon of organic first pressed virgin oive oil,f this dont get dancing,nothin will
Helpful - 0
I also throw in ground flax seed and arrow root powder in the whey shake
Helpful - 0
as already mentioned the best thing is light to moderate exercise and at least 30 minutes per day. It will help to boost your energy levels
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community