Hepatitis C Community

Exercise and Walking

Interested in finding out if you guys have the energy to even try exercise or walking - I find I get winded very easily and it's only been 3 weeks but is there anything during this beginning time of tx that's feasible and that others have found that works to help with the energy levels?  I've lost 6 lbs so far - only 94 more to go but really not trying to lose, just not eating hardly at all. Since my lifestyle has slowed considerably due to treatment - maybe it's not a bad time to focus on me and getting a healthier outlook and lifestyle. Before I had symptoms of HepC, I walked every day 3 miles a day then the fatigue killed that idea and I went from work to bed.  Was hoping to not get in that same rut.  I also had so many sore bones and muscles, my hips used to ache when I tried to sleep at night - now since Tx, no more bone pain.  Let me know what everyone's doing.  Thanks Kyle
You're right - it feels like we're on hold.  I guess I just want to see what I can do to change that a little, keeping life moving on but everything seems most days too overwhelming for that but I'll keep trying.
life as we know it has been put on hold. Boy that is so true. I am one that before tx enjoyed exercising it was important to help me maintain my life (bad back). I just don't have the stamina right now for the program I had prior to tx. so I try to work exercise into my day, what I can handle a little at a time.
exercising is something you should force yourself to do even if it just a little bit at a time.if you just lay around doing nothing your muscles and joints will lock up and make you feel worse.slow
I have found that I cannot tolerate the sun and as silly as it sounds at 2oclock each week day our PBS station has a very mild 30 minute exercise program.  It is for the home and wheel chair bound but it involves exercise for the joints and musles.  I don't know about anyone else but I have heart pounding, cannot catch my breath and chest pain if I over exert. My life is certianly on hold.Van
At first I tried not to change my life style so it was yoga or gym or basketball about 3 times a week but over time that changed to fridge couch tv but then spring, my savior came around and i started working on my gardens. had to take it very slow but I was motivated and as we all know gardens are very judgementale so I couldn't slack if there was to be antything to show for it.
I remember the first few weeks of tx I was lifting weights and found out immediatly after the first shot that my streght was half of what is was prior to tx. So if I was bench pressing 10 to 12 reps my reps were cut in half to 5 to 6. The next day I would be wiped out. I began to see then that I was going to have to pace myself through all my daily physical activties.
Somtimes after a really phsyical day the next day I can't do anything but lay around. I glad that summer is coming to a end The sun intensified my sx.
I did a brisk walk for 45 min. every other day during months three through six of treatment as an alternative to taking anti-depressants. There's something about doing that amount of exercise that helps maintain your serotonin/endorphin levels without using SSRIs. Not everyone is up to doing this on tx, but if you can, I believe it helps.
I'm not sure where you live, but during the hot summer in Maine this year, I tried walking, but got so fatigued after about 5-10 minutes that I turned around & came home.  I was afraid I might pass out on the sidewalk. My nurse told me to stay out of the sun between 10-4, and to try walking early mornings or late afternoons when the sun is low. Now that it's fall here, I try to take the dog for at least a 20 min. walk everyday. The nurse tells me to keep moving around, it's the best thing to try to keep your muscles limber and it seems to help. I agree with the phrase "If you don't use it, you'll lose it"  Even a 10 minute walk is better than no walk. I also have some 3 lb. weights that I use to keep my arms working, and I also do alot of lifting in my job. I'm hoping that will help keep mmy muscles toned a little.
That's what I'm experiencing - get too tired for like over 10 minutes - doing strolls I think rather than walks.
i tried to walk every chance i got ...unfortunately the fatigue and depression made them few and far between. i really helps if you can drag it off the couch for an hour.

life as we know it is on hold all during tx.
bobby
Well I think I'm going to try a little and keep trying a little more - walking up and down the stairs is a challenge now but I'll keep trying.
You're right - I can't handle the sun either - and I'm a sunworshiper and crave the summer - but even this weekend in New England as beautiful as it is - can't seem to handle the sun - I will try what I can and pace - seems to be the only way to go and consistent with everyone's experiences.  Thanks