Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Exercise and Walking

Interested in finding out if you guys have the energy to even try exercise or walking - I find I get winded very easily and it's only been 3 weeks but is there anything during this beginning time of tx that's feasible and that others have found that works to help with the energy levels?  I've lost 6 lbs so far - only 94 more to go but really not trying to lose, just not eating hardly at all. Since my lifestyle has slowed considerably due to treatment - maybe it's not a bad time to focus on me and getting a healthier outlook and lifestyle. Before I had symptoms of HepC, I walked every day 3 miles a day then the fatigue killed that idea and I went from work to bed.  Was hoping to not get in that same rut.  I also had so many sore bones and muscles, my hips used to ache when I tried to sleep at night - now since Tx, no more bone pain.  Let me know what everyone's doing.  Thanks Kyle
19 Responses
You're right - it feels like we're on hold.  I guess I just want to see what I can do to change that a little, keeping life moving on but everything seems most days too overwhelming for that but I'll keep trying.
life as we know it has been put on hold. Boy that is so true. I am one that before tx enjoyed exercising it was important to help me maintain my life (bad back). I just don't have the stamina right now for the program I had prior to tx. so I try to work exercise into my day, what I can handle a little at a time.
exercising is something you should force yourself to do even if it just a little bit at a time.if you just lay around doing nothing your muscles and joints will lock up and make you feel worse.slow
I have found that I cannot tolerate the sun and as silly as it sounds at 2oclock each week day our PBS station has a very mild 30 minute exercise program.  It is for the home and wheel chair bound but it involves exercise for the joints and musles.  I don't know about anyone else but I have heart pounding, cannot catch my breath and chest pain if I over exert. My life is certianly on hold.Van
At first I tried not to change my life style so it was yoga or gym or basketball about 3 times a week but over time that changed to fridge couch tv but then spring, my savior came around and i started working on my gardens. had to take it very slow but I was motivated and as we all know gardens are very judgementale so I couldn't slack if there was to be antything to show for it.
I remember the first few weeks of tx I was lifting weights and found out immediatly after the first shot that my streght was half of what is was prior to tx. So if I was bench pressing 10 to 12 reps my reps were cut in half to 5 to 6. The next day I would be wiped out. I began to see then that I was going to have to pace myself through all my daily physical activties.
Somtimes after a really phsyical day the next day I can't do anything but lay around. I glad that summer is coming to a end The sun intensified my sx.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.