Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.3k Members

Exercise on incivek?

I just started triple therapy and generally I exercise pretty regularly and intensively. I don't think I'll be able to continue the intensity but really hope to continue exercising. Anyone out there who has been able to exercise while on the meds?
18 Responses
1669790 tn?1333666195
After waiting for it to warm a bit, I'm getting ready to go cycling for an easy 25 miles.  I try to do this at least 2x per week and have continued through week 39.  After week 4 I had to back off the faster group rides since I could no longer keep up.  It still feels good to get the fresh air, spin the legs, but I don't push too hard.  

I'd suggest to try and maintain your routine, but after a few weeks you will likely need to back off some.  Just realize this is only temporary and don't beat yourself up over it.  Most days I come home from work and crash on the couch, whereas I'd normally do an afterwork ride.   I'm on SOC, not incivek, so it might present some additional challenges.  

Just listen to your body and do what you can.  Best luck to you as you begin trt and welcome to the forum.  
Before treatment I swam an hour 3x wkly ,walked 30-40 min 5xwkly, lifted weights X2wkly now I can hardly walk to the bathroom without getting out of breath. I am on the incivek.
1765684 tn?1333822768
I'm not taking Incivek but in a trial with another PI (or placebo + SOC).

Last night was my 23rd shot.  I'm very sad to say that I can't even get onto my horse's back anymore.  Last time I tried (mid-November), he stepped away slightly and I landed on my bum.  It was a LONG way down.  Normally I'd have been able to swing myself over even with his stepping away slightly and believe me, I tried.  Just. Couldn't. Do. It.

The result was some pretty good road rash and thank goodness for helmets.  ;)
My husband is on triple therapy with Incivek and has always worked out fairly hard.  He's had to scale it way back (no spin classes, lighter weights) but has found that he feels so much better if he makes himself work out for at least 20 minutes a day.  A walk on the beach or 20 min on the elliptical makes all the difference in how he feels in the moment, but when he's pushed too hard he pays the price.  Realize that you will not have the same strength or stamina that you have had, and be gentle on yourself.  It's only temporary.
Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely try to do at least mild exercise - walking and maybe some light weights. - as long as I can. Thanks for the support!
1652596 tn?1342015226
i've done cardio classes 3x/weekly thru out my 30 weeks so far.  i had to scale down to low impact and lighter weights.  but the difference i feel is amazing.  if i don't do some light workout i feel worse.  listen to your body.  be kind to yourself.  best wishes.  belle
I finished my 12 weeks with incivek about 6 weeks ago and I wish I had atleast tried to get some walking in.
I lost all motivation and just tried surviving the pills.
Once the incivek was gone I picked up my activety level a little, but not nearly enough.
I just managed to get through my first 3 days back at work and I'm really regreting not doing more.
1148619 tn?1332014584
I came into treatment a triathlete, marathoner!! I swam and ran the first month but that is where it came to a halt. Once the HGB started to drop, I was struggling.  the best advice I have received on this forum is "Do what you can". I  have carried that with me  all my treatment time.  I do Pilates, yoga, Elliptacal and treadmill, when I can.   I feel better if I get out of the house and do something.  Its not forever, just temporary.

Mo
190885 tn?1333029491
i think if you push yourself you might have less chance of svr...thats my opinion...the are so many folks on this forum that are into staying in shape..good luck....billy
What's svr?
766573 tn?1365170066
Sustained Virological Response
766573 tn?1365170066
Whoa, these posts are not very encouraging. I too am very athletic and wondered how soon the Incivek would slow me down. Guess I will just do what I can and adjust my routine accordingly.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.