Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
I had no idea that the percentage was so high.........

Sporadic transmission—when the source of infection is unknown—is the basis for about 10 percent of acute hepatitis C cases and for 30 percent of chronic hepatitis C cases. These cases are usually referred to as sporadic or community-acquired infections. These infections may have come from exposure to the virus from cuts, wounds, or medical injections or procedures. Spread of hepatitis C in the workplace and the household among nonsexual contacts is extremely rare. For this reason, precautions about limitations on casual contact, food preparation, and sharing food and utensils are unnecessary.
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/chronichepc/

Maybe I'll save a copy for all of the "What If" people that come on here.

Diane
23 Responses
1477908 tn?1349571310
'For this reason, precautions about limitations on casual contact, food preparation, and sharing food and utensils are unnecessary'

I'd never heard about these precautions/limitations. Sounds more like Hepatitis A guidelines. Those are the highest figures I've seen for unknown transmission, but I fall into that category, so I'm not totally surprised that it's not as infrequent as usually stated.
179856 tn?1333550962
Yes it sounds more like hepa to me too - sounds like they got their info mixed up a bit.  

There is a large percentage of folks who pass through the forum who have no idea where they got it from - I guess that is the reason we get trolled so much with all the penis/sex/doorknob/bloodytires questions.

That would make a good poll for here, not that it proves out anything but a do you have any idea where you could have gotten hepc from or did you have any of the usual transmission sources something like that would be interesting to see.  Me I had them all except for a tattoo (and for some reason nobody believes I have no tats...but they have no idea how much I was into drugs when I was younger, go figure!)
Honestly I am not certain exactly how or when I got HCV but I have a pretty good idea.
I suspect that a significant portion of those "sporadic transmission" cases - excluding blood transfusion or medical procedure cases - are unknown because people are not being honest about their previous lifestyle. They just don't tell the truth.

Mike
I don't find this odd at all. They are saying that because of the limited number of transmissions amongst families, that the precautions about food and utensils are not necessary. Those are some of the most asked questions by people who don't understand the modes of transmission. You know, can we get this disease by kissing if we have a cut in our mouth and the patient has bleeding gums? Since I became active in the HCV community in 1992 it has been stated that 40% don't know where they got the disease. Some of that, they believe, is persons who don't know they had a blood transfusion  as a young child or who refuse to admit to using IV drugs.
446474 tn?1446351282
Surely, Mike makes a good point.

Many with HCV are not willing to admit to past behaviors (needle use 30-40 years ago) that society judges as being deviant, criminal and unworthy of sympathy. Who wants to be looked down on by medical personnel, family and friends when they need help and support.

Society has not come to turns with illness that can be generated by behaviors. Life styles have a big impact on who gets diseases and how to best manage the illness in a realistic way. Also many illness are made worse by a person's general health status.

hectorsf
1524998 tn?1347413986
I totally agree that not everyone is truthful....I shared a needle almost 40 years ago and a lot of times wish I'd never mentioned it.  
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.