Gilead Cuts Harvoni Prices By 46%

Hey All, Well, the powers that be @ Gilead have decreed that those of you who cannot obtain the drug pro bono, or via insurance at a more reasonable price, a course of Harvoni will only run you $54,000. So, what will it be, a nicely appointed, brand new luxury sedan, or 84 pills? Don't think for a minute they are doing this out of compassion for their fellow man. If you read the entire article, the amount and variety of drugs soon to be on the market is going to force the average price to this level and below in the next 5 years. There will be so many variations of the NS5A / pan genotypic protease inhibitors, along with even simpler/much shorter duration regimens being developed, that combined with public pressure, will inevitably lead to a price war among all the Big Pharma outfits. I would go so far as to predict they will be financially incentivizing GP MDs to screen all of their patients for HCV antibodies, as they will need more patients to treat with this upcoming plethora of meds. I just can't help but be cynical and see this as a way to get ahead of the curve of being forced to sell their wares at an even lower cost in the future. Whatever the truth of it, the patients ultimately win, and that is all that really matters.   mac                 Here is the C&P/ link:
"Peck agreed that the current hepatitis C drug prices are high, even with some of the hefty discounts manufacturers are offering. Gilead, for instance in February told investors it was offering a 46% discount, which could bring the price of its sofosbuvir/ledipasvir combo (Harvoni) down to $54,000 for a course of treatment from its list price of $94,500.
It’s still a pricey pill, but Peck said, “some rich nations will pay for the poor nations” meaning that taxpayers in Europe and the US will be expected to foot that bill". - See more at: http://www.hcplive.com/conference-coverage/easl-2015/Hepatitis-C-Price-Lack-of-Testing-are-Challenges?utm_source=Informz&utm_medium=HCPLive&utm_campaign=Trending-News-4-29-15#sthash.n53gb3Au.dpuf
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Haha

Mac, please see my April Fools Day posting here that pokes fun at just what you have so wisely intuited:

Especially comments from Doctor IWish

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-Social/Hepatitis-C-cured/show/2527284

Interesting times, to be sure
Helpful - 0
If you would have listened to their conference call you may have understood them more.   I am so sick of people bashing companies because of their price.  Look at the prices because of research and devolpment. And they have  B of dollars on their balance sheet.  Wake up people they are saving lives!
Helpful - 0
Jules, believe me I LOVE Gilead!

But the fact that these treatments are so expensive makes them inaccessible to poor people and that always makes me very, very sad

Sure, those people could spend hours researching the internet and apply for free treatment from the pharms but what if they don't have a computer? What if they work 2 jobs while being quite ill? What if they don't even read that well?

To be treated at such great expense is a privileged place to be and while I love Gilead for finding such a great medicine, I am certainly not feeling sorry for them in any way. 29 BILLION dollars is not chump change

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gilead-profit-soars-on-hepatitis-c-drugs-sales-1430425380

Helpful - 0
I think they should make these drugs accessible to everyone despite income.
Helpful - 0
If they want more money they should make a drug that cure HBV because 400 million people suffering all over the globe including me.
Helpful - 0
The idea that it is moe efficient to leave market forces to find cures to diseases is truly fraught. In the case of HCV we are very lucky that a cure rather than just a suppressant or alleviation of symptoms is the outcome. I have a friend who suffers from a disease that can be improved (more or less) with a daily medication. There is no research going on to improve that situation. Captive market. 30-40 years of guaranteed revenue for the medication supplier. No commercial driver for research. Lifelong suffering for my friend.

It does not make commerical sense to widely distribute a cure that is nearly 100% effective because it wipes out your customer base... If you can reap a massive profit in one market, while keeping the price high enough to prevent the cure from being accessed by a large number of hosts elsewhere who will keep spreading the disease in succesive markets. That is more profitable. Horrid. Can be difficult moral dilemma to navigate even when your aims include some degree of human decency. Not funded = doesn't happen.

I spoke with one of my doctors about the price of HCV cures last year. He was optimistic that Gilead would drop the price once they had recovered the cost of research and development. I couldn't see how any of the big pharma will do anything but attempt to manipulate the market to get the maximum return and extend the life of their product. The newest treatments could smash the viability of even the best treatments available now. That's my take on Gliead dropping the price. Test the market. Get some extra sales in before the next round of drugs hit the North American market, squeeze competitors.

Medicine is an area where I wish countries would get together and develop a global research and drug development fund that could wield enough power to moderate the rampant capitalism of big pharma. Frankly it would benefit everyone, insurance companies and government run health funds as well as individuals.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community