Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Got Diabetes type 2

After three rounds of Interferon, Ribaviron, and something else, each for 48 weeks, I am left with high fasting blood glucose and A1C of 6.0.  My fasting sugars range from 134 to 160.  They used to be 104 or less.  I went to diabetes center for diet counseling, I walk and ride my bicycle 6 times a week, weather permitting and still may have to get pills to control this blood sugar problem.  The diet modifications have not helped.  I have no family history of diabetes.  MCV is also out of range.  I have been considered free of the Hep C virus for 2.5 years now.  Had stage 3 plus liver damage with type 3 then was told it was type 1.  Who knows?  Any comments?  Thanks.

Bobbie
3 Responses
Hi, Bobbie, welcome to the Community.  I wish I could offer some help or advice, but, so far, I have not had that problem.  I am now SVR (over 1 year now) and while on meds (Jun - Dec 2014) I lost about 25 lbs but eating a liver friendly diet, cutting out all sugar, watching my portions, and have continued to follow that diet, although a little more relaxed about ice cream, etc (still no candy).  I am now down 35 lbs, and plan to continue my life style change - eating better and walking more.  I truly believe that may have helped me not have problems as I was overweight - still am, to a degree.

Don't know if this info is useful or not, but thought I would offer it.

We have many very knowledge, friendly, helpful people on the site so hang in there.  Not everyone comes to the site every day.

Good luck and Blessings, Pat
Many of us with hepatitis C, even those of us who are cured, are dealing with type 2 diabetes. Losing weight and eating low carb is very helpful. My doctor put me on metformin which dropped my fasting blood sugar closer to normal range. But the thing that helped the most was cutting way down on carbs and losing 10 pounds. My A1C went from 6.0 to 5.6.
Bobbie, you did not mention your BMI. I looked up your profile and don't see your weight but I noticed weight management and weight reduction surgery among your interests. Usually, when extra weight is a factor, the reason for type 2 diabetes is high levels of free fatty acids and triglycerides in the blood (they interfere with glucose absorption in muscle cells).

The only sure way to lower the levels of fatty acids and triglycerides in the blood is to get rid of excess body fat. Then muscle cells will be able to feed on glucose unimpeded and this will lead to its lower level in the blood.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.