Hepatitis C Community

Great Article On Management of Insulin Resistance and Metabolic Syndrome in HCV

Here is the article:

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hep_c/news/2007/121206_a.html

This may be helpful to both HCV+ members, and post treatment SVR's.
Doctors are finally beginning to recognize the connection between HCV and Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, and related disorders.

DoubleDose
thanks for the info. very helpful to me as I have both diabetes and hep c. funny when I first started treating for both I asked both doctors if they thought there was a connection of course they both said no, I guess not that funny.
this article sounds like my situation except i'm a 2b..i finished tx in october and 6 week pcr is negative...although i dropped about 20 lbs this year on tx, i still am battling my blood sugar. i am currently taking 3 metformin daily and my sugar is still high...i have added more exercise since i finished tx and i am trying to lose more weight..hopefully my blood sugar levels will decrease.. i also have an increasingly worsening fatty liver over the past year...
                                  thanks for the post,alan
Another factor in deciding if treatment is for you. It sounds like your chances of SVR are almost nil if you have diabetes brought on by the virus.

Ron
Does this also correlate into what Scuby was saying the other day about high sugar levels maybe?

I didn't have time to read the link yet but I hope that Scuby is aware if it does!
How did you arrive at that conclusion? I just skimmed the article so if it's there I missed it and would appreciate you directing me. Mike
is a known complication of all types of liver disease, but research indicates that hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection plays a more direct role in abnormal glucose metabolism - an association that appears to differ based on HCV genotype. Studies have shown that HCV infection is associated with a higher rate of diabetes, and that blood glucose abnormalities, in turn, are linked to more severe fibrosis. Sustained responders to interferon-based therapy typically experience improved insulin sensitivity - though patients with insulin resistance are less likely to respond to anti-HCV treatment.

Ron