HCV and Massage Parlours

A few weeks ago, I visited a massage parlour.  No sexual contact (exchange of fluids) except for manual release.  I am now suffering from upper right quadrant pain.  I strongly believe I acquired a type of hepatitis, for the pain in the liver area is quite pronounced.  I am vaccinated against Hep B, but I am guessing the infection could be either Hep A or C.  I am going in to get a CMP to check enzyme levels and possibly go for further testing.  Has anyone in this forum ever acquired HCV through an erotic massage or ever heard of someone being infected from this route?  Literature on the subject states that risks are extremely low, but literature and clinical/personal experiences can be quite different....  Thank you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
thres no way to get hep-c this way.hcv gets transmitte only by blood to blood.
Helpful - 0
You are likely suffering manifestations of guilt or fear.  Your chances of acquiring HCV or any hepatitis are roughly equal to getting HIV from a handshake.

People often have sexual relations with strangers and suffer some sort of similar reaction.  When they fear it's HIV they develop immediate symptoms of HIV they have read about.  If it is HCV they fear they may manifest those symptoms.  

By the way....I've possibly had HCV for over 3 decades and I don't have right quadrant pain; the majority of us don't, but yes, it can be a symptom of liver issues.

By all means though, get tested for antibodies or a routine STD panel since IMHO everybody should have one on occasion.  If and when you come up negative I hope and expect that the pain will subside.  In all likelihood not one *informed* person in this forum will suggest that HCV can be transmitted the way you describe.

best,
Willy

Willy
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the reply.  My main concern is the client before me and the possibility of contaminated items (towels, table etc.).  Hepatitis can live outside the body for quite sometime.  You are right, fear and guilt can drive one crazy.  I will post the results from the lab for informational purposes.  Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
Hepatitis A, B, and C test came back negative and HCV ab test came back as 1.0 ranging from 0.0-1.0.  Wouldn't a negative test be considered 0.0?  Is it true that most people all though negative will have a low S/CO score?  Any info. would be great.  I still have liver tenderness and the last possible exposure was on Nov. 20 at the massage parlour.  My next step is to get a PCR test test.  Any thoughts on my situation.  Thanks
Helpful - 0
(you wrote)
Hepatitis A, B, and C test came back negative and HCV ab test came back as 1.0 ranging from 0.0-1.0.  Wouldn't a negative test be considered 0.0?

----------------------------------------------------
Did they express you you that the HCV antibody test was negative?
Call and ask the doctor.  You paid for the test and they should tell you what it means.

It is quite unlikely that you could have the virus but not have antibodies but some people develop the antibodies more slowly than others.

Ask your doctor.  If after the consult they feel that a PCR is recommended it should prove whether you are infected or not (positive for antibodies will not, since people can become infected and clear spontaneously).

Don't be shy; call them and make sure you understand.  Probably this can be answered on the phone by the DR or their nurse.

Willy
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the reply.  The ab test came back as <0.1 so the test was negative for HCV ab.  Shouldn't the Ab test come back as 0.0 if one is truely negative.  it has been 7-8 weeks since massage (only risk factor known).  Thanks
Helpful - 0
I'm not a doctor.  I can't answer that....but..... the test sometimes has ranges.  If it is in one range it means one thing, out of range another, in between; inconclusive.

There is not always complete certainty.  If you are far out of range and yet not the classic perfect score it doesn't suggest a little bit of infection, it's just that the tests are not 100% perfect.

If you want perfection, get a PCR.

Or..... wait a few more weeks and get a riba, more definitive antibody test.

best,
Willy
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community