Hepatitis C Community

HCV and skin disorders/rashes

Hi all -

I know rashes are very common on tx but I wanted to throw this one out to see if anyone has had what I am experiencing.  I did not have a problem with rash/itching until recently (week 16/24).  On my lower legs I have little patches of red dotted looking little bumps and some tiny red dots that are not raised but are under the skin.  At the same time I also have a different kind of rash (hive like) mostly on my back and stomach.  This one is real itchy and the ones on my legs don't itch.  I know this can be from cryo which I tested postive for prior to tx but am now undectable (which I've heard can be false).  I cleared at week 11 for the HCV as well.  I'm awaiting biopsy results but am very anxious.  I've had this for 3 weeks now.  Searching on the internet the hive-like rash looks like a form of vasculitis and the other one looks like that lichen planus (sp?).  Truthfully, I'm a bit outta my head now imagining I've got some other horrible disease to deal with.  Anyway, please feel free to share if you have any info.  Thanks.

-cbee

dr gave me a drug call psorcon only thig that worked for me i tryed them allllllllll
I'm sure you'll get more comments on this. I developed riba-rash on my forearms(very itchy) around that timeframe I think. Others have mentioned chest or back rash. on the forearms I was able to use vaseline to keep from drying out further and decrease itching. I hope you get more comments-the weekend is slow though.
My rash started going away as soon as tx ended and the drugs went away. frank(be careful of the sun on skin)
I have the rashes and itching also.  I use nivea cream and a lotion I got from the doctor that works really good.  Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1% lotion.  It is similar to what someone else on this forum suggested.  The little red spots are still there but not as itchy.  Also, lotion down your body after a shower while it is still damp.  This helped me alot.
My rash came early in tx and has hung around in a number of forms and in different places. Over Christmas I caught a bad cold/flu and the rash just exploded all over my stomach, chest and back. It was also miserable being sick on top of the tx. I don't recommmend it so avoid colds at all costs. Anyway the rashs are still here but not so bad now. I'm looking forward to having it behind me but you will get thru it. Good Luck going forward!
Also Cetaphil lotion works very well with me right out of the shower.
at the end of treatment (2 shots left!), last five or six weeks doc said I had acute excema from reaction to meds.  Already had the patches on back sides, etc..  Pretty much the norm I gather.  Not to worry
I got 3 different rashes. The one on the lower leg sounds like the one I got about the same time into tx as you are. It got quite bad after some time. It ended up looking sort of like a fungus or ringwormish. My GP tested by scrapping and test but it did not show fungus BUT we both agreed it certainly looked that way so he gave me a cortisone cream with an anti fungal in it. After only two day the rash was better. It did keep coming  back but I would just put cream on it for a day and it would be gone. How I hated the rashes and the itching! I do hope you get some relief. LL
Great household hints, Heloise.  You have any ideas for my poor face?  Rash struck about 3 weeks ago and my cheeks are bright red and covered with acne-like bumps.   Ah, this gift just keeps on giving...
Califia:  You could always try the tea tree oil idea.  I've been treating my dog's lick sarcomas with the tea tree oil stuff, and it works better than anything else I've tried...it helps them heal (and tastes bad enough that it discourages her from licking.)

You've been bombarded with these meds for so long, I think your body is just sick and tired of it!  Not much longer, though, right?  Or did you extend treatment?...I couldn't figure out from your previous posts on the subject whether you were done or going on.

Scruffy:  I'm glad you liked the itch collection!  I saved a lot of posts while I was nervously waiting to treat.  Good thing, because now I'm so fogged in most of the time, I can barely comprehend what I'm trying to read and don't have the juice to save much.

Laika
Way to go Laika! Now that is useful info collecting. frank
Yep,,,The good ole rash!  Seems to come in all sizes, shapes and texture.  Some bumps itch,,,some don't!  Worst part of tx in my opinion!  I was so relieved when I had nights,,,I was comfortable and not itching all night.  I tried so many products,,,I did find bathing in evening with aveeno bath and then getting out and putting that lotion on helped some.  Its miserable,,,I know,,,But it will finally end and be a distant memory!
I _will_ try the Tea Tree oil....aloe and lavender and calendula not getting the job done and I just don't want to thin the skin on my face w/ a cortisone cream.   Thanks!   (Btw, I'm riding with you through the end of August.   Yes, I've extended. )