Had HCV in 2007 and cleared; recent bloodwork shows Reactive Reading

I had treatment for HCV in 2007 and cleared the virus; had blood work for 5 years after treatment with no sustained virologic response reading.  Recently 2019 my primary doctor had a HCV blood test run and reading came back as Antibody Reactive 23.4, however the RNA reading showed <1.18 Not Detected.   She suggested I see an infectious disease doctor on this.  Why would I need to do this when the RNA is not detected?
Why would I need to do this when the RNA is not detected?
————————-/
You don’t. Your primary is inexperienced about HCV. Once you have been exposed to the virus you will always test positive for the antibodies(Even after being cured, which you have been)
TheRNA shows you were ,and still remain cured.
The doctors that put patients through this redundant AB testing after cure really should do some research.
Totally agree with wilbb. Those of us who were infected in the past will test positive for hepatitis C antibodies for the test of our lives. There is absolutely no reason for us to have a hep c antibody test the result is know it will be positive.

The only way to find out if you have somehow become reinfected would’ve tjejave the test for the hep c virus itself which we often refer to as a viral load test the HCV RNA by PCR test. If you are not detected you don’t have hep c.

Really you don’t need continual hep c virus testing unless you just want to for peace of mind. If you have no evidence of hep C virus since 2007 unless you have a new risk you are cured.

Good luck

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community