Hepatitis C Community

Hair color without peroxide or ammonia?

Gals do you know if there is any safe hair color to use while on treatment? Might one without peroxide or ammonia be OK?
Thanks, Bree
I colored my hair  1x during 13 week treatment, Not sure if it would have been better or worse.  It was falling out plenty before, not much more after.  Are their studies to show hair falls out more if colored?  Or is it an assumption?  I didn't do highlights, just covered my gray with brown.
Judy
If you are going to be doing your hair at home. Clairol has a ammonia free/peroxide free color that won't hurt your hair. It won't do the job that permanant color will do, but it will make
your hair look and feel better. It is called Natural Instints loving care, and Clairol makes it. You can get it at most drug stores.
Hi iwillbeatthis,

Try reading these threads for different opinions about this and then do what works for you:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Hair-coloring/show/990348

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-Social/hair-dye-can-I/show/694728

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Color-Hair-/show/88706

I didn't bother to color during treatment but rushed out afterwards and splurged on the works.

During treatment, I used hats and caps to 'cover up' and didn't bother to wash my hair very often.  It was so dry but didn't fall out that much, except for occasional spurts, usually in the shower. Or maybe that was when I noticed it falling out.

Susan

Susan
I worked throughout my 72 weeks of treatment so my appearance was very important.  I have a lot of grey and had my hair colored every 6 - 8 weeks.  My daughter is a stylist and does my hair and she could notice the thinning but no one at work seemed to notice.  She uses only professional products which contained ammonia and peroxide and my hair didn't fall out any faster or become dry and brittle.  In my opinion, having my hair done proffesionally kept my hair healthy because we colored only the roots and didn't overlap the color and expose already colored hair to the chemicals.  I also used a very good shampoo and conditioner which kept my hair soft and shiny despite the thinning.

Trinity
I think you've received some good answer from each of the respondents in this post.  It would probably be a good idea to talk to a professional hair stylist who is up-to-date on hair loss due to different types of chemothearpy.  

I don't know what to do either.  I don't die my hair, I gave that up and now I have this bushy, white hair, that I really dig.  But, when if it starts falling out a lot, I might just shave my head.  I'm thinking about it.  

There are beautiful scarves, hats, and turbans that women wear, giving them that bohemian look that is really cool.  

You have many options to choose from, so you can carefull do what is right for your situation.

Debbie
thank you all, read thru all info, I've gotten some ideas, and of course will go as the flow presents itself. I've got a long road ahead of me, starting pretty soon, and as insignificant as hair may seem, it's the daily reminder in the mirror (among other daily reminders I am sure).
Bree
Hi there!  Right before starting tx I did dye my hair with Feria.  Then after I started I would try to wait 8 to 12weeks before using a vegetable dye.  Sebastian makes a good one called cellophanes which is supposed to cover gray.  In my case I had to go with a little darker color in order to cover the grays.  There is another called Herbatint.
Good luck to you,
D
thank you D,  I have bookmarked your note.
Bree is right, the hair is a daily reminder of being different, looking different.  I can't wear a scarf to work as it would get a whole lot of attention.  I had thick beautiful hair.  I never wore it pulled back until now.  You really can't see the thinning while it's in a bun or ponytail, with bangs.  Bumble and Bumble make a color hair powder spray you can use to lengthen time between hair color.  Since you don't wash your hair much during tx it lasts until you wash it out. Use it on roots or where you see your hair looks thin at the scalp.  I use Blondish, it's for light brown to dark blonde hair color.  You can find it on ebay.
Judy
Thanks D, and Judy, I ordered some Tints of Nature today, also some Nioxin, got my wide tooth combs, picked up my gallon of junk to drink for colonoscopy, so I guess I am getting ready for the ride. Checked out that Bumble and Bumble, had never heard of it, that's a good tip. Thank you all, and I liked the ice cream tip with the Riba :0
The little comfort stuff is probably what gets you through.
I'm gonna be turning to you gals here, hope you don't mind me leaning on you a bit. Bree
I've used the Nioxin now twice. I only wash once a week.  It's leaves my hair in good condition. I would recommend it as a good hydrating shampoo.  Not sure it will stop hair loss.  There is a benefit  to both when sharing a similiar experience with each other and both are better for it.

I've used Bumble and Bumble Blondish for years, it allows me to lenghten time between hair color.  Remember i am 95% white, and am a brunnette.  I have roots at 3 weeks.  I hate roots. I just use where my part shows growth. That's why bangs are good, covers hairline. Still considering going white, just not sure how to do it.  Again not much research and I refuse to look like a zebra.

I've had 2 colonoscopies, neither were a problem or pain.  Just the prep.  But it's one day.  
Judy
I hate to go against the flow here but my doctor said "no hair coloring until finishing tx" His reason being that there is a chance of some of the chemicals entering the blood stream and the liver having to deal with them. He also recommended that I stop painting my fingernails for the same reason... nail polish remover doesn't just go through the polish.

The main reason of doing tx is to save our livers, which filter everything we eat, drink, and get on our skin. If I were you, I'd ask my doctor to be on the safe side.

Diane
I used L'Oreal and it worked great. The color was deep and rich and my hair still had that luxurious bounce that is so critical for natural looking locks.

Of course, coloring while treating HCV is not generally recommended but when it comes to looking great you just can't beat L'Oreal. And looking great is important.

Mike