Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Harvoni treatment?

Hi. I am in stage 3 hepatitis C and am on the brink of cirrhosis with some liver damage. Every doctor I talked to since I first learned I had hep c, told me to wait to be treated because I am bipolar, with major depression. I know I wouldn't survive the old treatment because I get so depressed, I sometimes want to kill myself. I also have osteoarthritis in my lumbar and sciatica. In addition, I was shot in my right arm many years ago. I haven't had ,much trouble with it until now. I have lots of bone and bullet fragments in my shoulder and neck where the bullet used to be.

So I also have a pinched nerve that starts in my lumbar area and goes all the way down to my toes. Lots of nerve pain in my right leg. Also, nerve pain and rotator cuff problems in my right shoulder/neck area.. I can't take heavy meds because of the liver issues so I'm in a lot of pain most of the time.

I am also almost through my first month on Harvoni. I don't have many symptoms except I need to sleep a lot and now, for the first time, my feet and ankles are swelling, sometimes bad enough to hurt. Once I get a good night's sleep, my feet get a little better but by the end of the day, they're back to being very swollen. Sometimes I just have to lay down with my feet up for a couple hours to relieve the swelling somewhat. So, it never completely goes away.

Is anyone having the same issue with Harvoni?
1 Responses
6708370 tn?1471493810
Welcome to the forum, Marsala!

Wow, that's a lot going on for you

I too am taking Harvoni and have experienced no swelling

Do you take Sprionolactone to control edema? I have taken it for a year and 1/2 and it completely eliminated edema in my ankles and feet in a very short time

I am very concerned about your depression. Are you currently taking anything for that? Do you have a psychiatrist or a support group? Someone who you can reach out to when you are feeling down?

Depression can greatly exacerbate pain and affect your sleep and eating habits although there are many side effects of treatment Hep C as well

Please talk to your doctor about this straight away and call a Suicide Prevention hotline if you are feeling suicidal or go to the emergency room!

We are not doctors but patients who are also dealing with the effects that Hep C has had on our livers and our lives

Keep in touch and take care of yourself!!

You can PM me if you feel more comfortable with that...

Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.