Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Hemolytic Anemia Options

Well, after using the Procrit from week 8, when my HGB was at 9.4, until week 12, when I finally had my HGB taken again, my HGB is now at 9.3.  That is with 40,000 units Procrit per week.
    Mean-while, my 12 week vl is undetectable, and it has been that way, since week 4, although I am on Triple Therapy with Victrelis (Boceprevir) which has a 4 week lead in, so I was undetectable before the Victrelis was added.
   Also, at 12 weeks, I developed a mild Riba-Rash on my torso(while in the sun), which I am controlling with Hydroxyzine.
My Doctor has read the new studies, which lots of us on this Forum have also read, which indicate that Riba reduction after 12 weeks und, seems to be safe,(doesn't effect SVR chances) and she has given me the choice to reduce...but I'm finding it a tough decision.
   My anemia is preventing me from walking more than a block, but I can still breathe okay, but not great.
I have heard that sometimes the Procrit takes 6 weeks to kick in, so I kind of want to wait another week, and then go get my HGB checked, at 14 weeks. But I also was thinking, maybe I should reduce the Riba by 200 mgs, because I feel like my anemia is feeling worse, not better, than last week.
    I would love any input/advise, from those who have been on Triple Tx, and experienced anemia, and used Procrit, and Riba reduction~  I am 13 shots down, and have 15 shots to go, so there is alight at the end of this achey`itchy tunnel, and thank you in advance~
21 Responses
The Vic is the main problem causing you to be anemic, I had to go on 40,000 every 5 days just to keep in the 9"s. From what they say dose reducing doesn't seem to hurt ones chances, now if your cirrhotic that might not be the case though. I wouldn't expect reducing only 200mg to help much so if you go that route you might have to reduce even further.

Being you was und at week 4 your odds are great, the most important thing is to stay on treatment... If it was me i would stay on course and as long as it stayed in the 9's. Your not going to be normal as long as your on treatment.
The Procrit is doing exactly what is intended of it...stabilized the HGB.

maybe I should reduce the Riba by 200
--------------------------------------------------
No body should ever self administer dosage without a doctors direction .
You are on track.....

Will

I am on week 10 of incivek and pegasys and riba. I have be come extremely sick. My hemoglobin is 7.7 with 40000 of procrit. I cannot stand up with being nauseous. I am trying to last at least through week 12 of incivek. I think they want to do a blood transfusion. UGH I just want it to be over with.
190885 tn?1333029491
seems like yesterday you started tx....sounds like your doing good...most of my tx i had to rest a lot while walking......9.3 isn't too bad...be careful...your pulse will most likely be high...mine was 80 to 100 during a lot of tx...just trying to get that oxygen around....the anemia was something i had no idea going into tx that i would get...at least not bad...when it hit in the beginning of tx it took me by surprise.....don't over do....keep up on that blood work...even procrit couldn't bring my hgb up after a while...i would think your doctor will reduce riba if you get into the 8s ...get up slow out of bed or out of the car...good luck....billy
Here is an article about managing anemia with the triple tx:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/331730/Management-of-Anemia-during-treatment
Advocate1955
179856 tn?1333550962
Just like candoman I had take 40,000 every five days.  Twice a week was too much, once a week too little.......it's like Goldilocks and the three bears sometimes it takes time to find one that's juuuust right.

Do NOT dose reduce without your doctors instructions. Ask for more procrit but in the 9s is ok (well it ***** but) at least it is stable.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.