Hepatitis C Community

Hep C and diabetes

I have hep c for many years and  now was diagnosed with diabetes and on metformin 500 mg at night... I am scared do to diabetes... any advice can help.
People with hep C are at an elevated risk for type II diabetes. I don't think it is anything to be scared about. You might want to talk to a nutritionist to help guide you in making healthy choices. The best thing to do is avoid a lot of carbohydrates as they are sugars and will elevate your glucose. Have your A1C test as recommended by your physician. You should be just finhel. I am! :-)
I also take bp med.. but well controlled
Have you heard about the relatively new treatment ta for hep c?

You should ask your doctor about getting treated if you still have hep c. The new meds have about a 98% cure rate for hep c. Treatment could be as simple as 1 pill a day for 8 or 12 weeks and your hep c can be cured. Most people who have treated with the new medicines have had little in the way of side effects.

I treated 3 times in the past with interferon based treatments and have had liver cirrhosis for over 9 years. I was cured of hep c by the new medicines 2.5 years ago.

Good luck
Awesome your cured ..cirrohosis would scare me..any certain diet? I have hep c stage 3....almost cirrohosis....on tx now......
Hi luckily I noticed your comment on this three year old thread.

I have been cured of Hep c since 2015 but I still have liver cirrhosis. I was diagnosed with cirrhosis in January 2008.

I don’t have any special diet and in truth I really need to lose some weight. As far as what is recommended basically if you google heart smart diet that is also a liver smart diet. But basically what everyone should be doing eating a health diet rich in vegetables and fruits. If overweight one should try to get to a normal BMI. Easy to say I really need to follow my own advice and improve my diet and lose like 35 lbs and get some exercise

Best of luck